Bird degreaser - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Bird degreaser

Hi guys ,
Starting my first ever bird mount , a snow goose. I was wandering what type of degreaser you guys prefer to use. Any tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 03:38 PM
Part of the Community

Re: Bird degreaser

Hi Andy,

I just started doing waterfowl last year. And have skinned and fleshed out about 10 ducks now. I started degreasing them with a wire brush about the size of toothbrush, a butter knife and scissors. Some guys can degrease a duck using just these tools, however i can not. After my birds dried the feathers where there was still some fat and membrane on the quils dried in an unnatural posistion. First thing I learned was when guys tell you to get all the fat off it means all the fat, in between quills and around the eye, everywhere. I just skined out and fleshed two scoters and decided to use a wire wheel, which was an old power drill turned upside down in a vice with a hose clamp on the trigger to adjust the spead, anyhow the wire wheel did wonders and cleaned the fat off well...just have to have the courage to try it. I'm just a hobbyist but if want to call me and talk about sometime PM me and I'll give ya my number
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 04:54 PM
Banned

Wire wheel them and straight hot water with dawn dish soap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 06:03 PM
Part of the Community

Sharp pair of scissors,scrapers[something with a semi sharp serrated edge}. And a wire wheel. Matuska supply sells a pretty inexpensive one if you don't want to make your own. Multiple baths with Dawn and cool water. Shout,Era work well on tough stains. Fabric whitener [white-brite] I think is the brand name will really whiten your goose. It gets a lot of the stains out. If you have one of those rusty faced snows and you want it that way don't use the whitener.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page