Paint Question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Paint Question

Ok so this isn't quite a taxidermy question but it relates. I'm looking to paint up some worn out decoys and would like to use my airbrush to give it a more realistic look. My question is I was thinking of using the lacquer based opaque paint to redo these decoys. I have found this paint not to be glossy and hold up well but would there be any reason why I shouldn't use this paint on decoys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 11:31 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Paint Question

I would think laquer base would not be durable given the abuse decoys get. I know when I had a 68 Camaro That was repainted with laquer base paint I had to garage it to keep it looking good. I would think there are better more durable choices .Cut and pasted below description

Lacquer based paint was a popular type of paint from the mid 1920s to 1960s. It was typically used to cover hard wearing surfaces like auto bodies and furniture. Lacquer paint is difficult to work with and requires sanding between coats and about four to six coats on autos. This is still found and commonly used by many. These paints are soft and do not have many chemicals. Thus, they are not durable and long-lived. This is why an antique car with an original paint job will appear dull rather than glossy. This paint is available in aerosol spray containers as well as spray guns.

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 03:11 PM
Part of the Community

Re: Paint Question

Buzz. Try RONAN oil paint. Wears well. Don't know if it can be thinned enough to air-brush. I just dry brush the transition areas [black to white on a bluebill] www.jaymescompany.com is where I buy it. Works great on E.allens,cork,wood. Probably all plastic although never tried it on GHG type birds

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page