just a question of boiling a skull... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

just a question of boiling a skull...

i've did the euros before, 4 of them.. my fifth im doing now the pot im using is older and bent it doesnt go to boil just kinda cooks. Has anyone boild a skull and kept it in for more then 6 hours? what was easier? taking it out cleaning it as you go? or leaving it in for awhile and cleaning ita ll at once? the ones i've done i clean as i go, but the pot i used got the water to a good boil..not this simmer stuff that im in right now..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 06:10 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: just a question of boiling a skull...

I've always let it boil, scraped off some excess and re-boiled the skull. I am interested in hearing what works for most people also. After everything is cleaned up I use peroxide and soak for a day or so to bleach everything.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thats what i usually tend to do as well, boil, scrap, boil some more...i use the peroxide in the water as i boil. it helps keep whitening it and breaks it down i think better.

this one i was doing now, well last night, i didnt feel like leaving it on over night, but when i went to bed it was coming off. i'll finish it today.
this isnt it, this one i did earlier in the year in september, i had a better pot that came to a boil better...but im not allowed to use that one again ...kinda got it greasy someone was mad.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 11:51 PM
New Arrival

Simmer your skull with baking soda and household peroxide at about 170 to 180 for as long as needed. Well when all meat has come off the bone. Use about 1/4 box of baking soda to 16 oz %3 peroxide(brown Bottle) and 3 gallons of water
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 12:50 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

iv tried dishwasher soap it has stuff in it to brake down food particles. it works real good try to get most of the brains and meat and eyes off b4 u ever start to boil. a bottle brush works good for clean the brains and sinus cavitys out. iv done a bear fox and bobcat skulls after i was all done bleaching and peroxside i let dry for a week then put high gloss urathane on it for shine and to keep it from getting dirty.over time will discollar from dust and little fingers that have to look at it
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 01:01 AM
Banned

my beetles do all my skulls
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 01:06 AM
The Man

I have better luck if I let the eyes in, and simmer, not boil. With the eyes left in, after a couple hours of simmering, the tendons and nerves all pull right out of the little holes with the eyes. If i boil too hard, it seems to make the skull more brittle, and the small bones break/ fall off. I also use dish soap while I'm simmering.

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 02:20 AM
The Man

The easiest way to do it is as follows:

1. Remove hide from head, place in a bucket cover with water, and dawn dish soap.......allow to soak 1 day-1 week

2. Place skull in a pot with fresh water, and more dawn.....bring to a simmer, and cook for an hour or more.....gently remove any loose pieces of meat still left on the skull

3. Repeat step 1......

4. Repeat step 2....

Do this a few times, and it will come clean in no time, with very little scraping etc.....and make sure you use regular Dawn soap.......I tried others, but the Dawn worked the best

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page