Hair falling out - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Hair falling out

I had a deer hide turned into a rug about 5 years ago. It never gets walked on it just sits at the base of my gun cabinet for decoration. Well recently Me and the wife have been noticing deer hair laying around it and a lot of it. The hair seems to be falling out of it. Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening or slow it down?

Life is like a coin, you can spend it anywhere you like, but you can only spend it once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 11:54 AM

Re: Hair falling out

Need a little more info for an accurate answer. Do you have pets? Cats and sometimes dogs LOVE to play with skins.
Was the skin tanned by a reputable taxidermist using a reputable tannery or was it "home tanned"? Do you see any evidence of dermestids around the skin? It'll look like sawdust or you might see the dried skins from the larvae. Are the hairs actually falling out from the root or are they just breaking off? You should be able to see the root if they are actually falling out.

5 years is not too "old" for a tanned rug-type skin however, keep in mind that deer hair is hollow and is very prone to breakage which often results in the appearance of hair "falling out".

I know I asked a lot more questions than I answered but perhaps you can make a better assessment now that you know some things to look for.

Let us know.

Paul
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

No pets EVER. All I know is the taxidermist sent it away to get tanned. The 2 deer heads he did for me are holding up good. The skin looks clean no dermestids and the hairs are mixed. Some have roots, others do not.

Life is like a coin, you can spend it anywhere you like, but you can only spend it once.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 01:29 PM

It sounds like normal wear then Uncysid. Although it does seem a bit excessive. You might try taking it outside and giving it a good shake and then bring it back in but put it in a different area of the house. If it was near a heat source the hollow hairs will get very brittle very quickly.
You might also consider taking it back to the taxidermist that did it---he can tell by looking at MUCH better than I can by reading....LOL.
Good luck!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 02:07 PM

sounds like a good assessment there paul

He never said it would be easy;
He only said it would be worth it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page