Fixing antler points - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Fixing antler points

Didn't want to hijack the other post so I thought I would make a new one.

So the question is too fix or not to fix?

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 01:17 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Fixing antler points

I personally wouldn't get points fixed. The old lady shot a good buck this year after a long dry spell and the bucks main beam was broke off after the G3. She wanted a euro mount of it and asked me if there was any way of getting the antler repaired. I told her there was. And she requested to have him repaired. No sense in arguing with the Mrs.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 01:50 AM

I'd fix it so it will look good for a mount. When anyone says nice I'd say i had it fixed. end of story

I'm so far behind I think I'm in first place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 01:53 AM

and i bet it looks good 5chunter

I'm so far behind I think I'm in first place.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 03:35 PM

A friend's daughter shot a beast a couple of years ago. On his death run, he ran headlong into a tree and busted up his right beam pretty bad. They got it mounted and the taxi had do to a lot of work to get it back to normal. In a case like that, i would. If not, I wouldn't.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 04:42 PM

It depends on the mount. Often a minor break or two gives character. But if a G2 or main beam was broken, I'd probably get a repair...especially if I had a photo of the buck on trail cam with an undamaged rack. My son and I have mounts done both ways and it doesn't diminish the memory of any hunt one bit. It's a personal call on how you want the art to appear. I like to get my taxidermist's opinion before making a decision.

The older I get, the stronger gravity becomes.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 04:48 PM

5chunter, I would have gotten that one fixed too because the end of the beam is clearly broken off after hardening. It's not like it was never there or you are enhancing it beyond what nature initially created. Your wife will get a beautiful symmetrical mount recreating what that buck once was. Congrats on a very nice buck by the way!

The older I get, the stronger gravity becomes.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 07:10 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccall29
A friend's daughter shot a beast a couple of years ago. On his death run, he ran headlong into a tree and busted up his right beam pretty bad. They got it mounted and the taxi had do to a lot of work to get it back to normal. In a case like that, i would. If not, I wouldn't.
Ya know... I voted no, that I would not get one fixed. Simply because I love the character of all the buck I have harvested. However, you bring up a great point (no pun intended... ok maybe a little)! In a case like this one, I probably would get it fixed. Excellent enlightenment!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by basdjs
It depends on the mount. Often a minor break or two gives character. But if a G2 or main beam was broken, I'd probably get a repair...especially if I had a photo of the buck on trail cam with an undamaged rack. My son and I have mounts done both ways and it doesn't diminish the memory of any hunt one bit. It's a personal call on how you want the art to appear. I like to get my taxidermist's opinion before making a decision.
I feel the same way and actually have 1 mount that has 1 point fixed and 1 that does not. The one I got fixed has a G3 that was broken off at the base. If I didn't get it fixed, I would probably have not got it mounted as I thought the broke point really diminished the look of the rack. I got that one fixed. The other buck has a broken brow tine and I decided not to get it fixed as I thought it added character and didn't dminish the mount. Like you said it is a personal call.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 03:53 PM

A buck that broke after shooting it i would definately fix if he were big enough. It would basically just be putting him back the way he was when you shot him. I would not fix a brow tine. A an inch or two of a tip of a tine or main beam as long as its not too drastic i may have touched up just to have a nice looking mount on the wall if he were big enough. Major reconstructions of any kind would be a no for me and that would include entire points being added back on. If it doesnt look anything close to the way it looks in the pics and the way he was when i shot it then its not the way i want it hanging on my wall. Its not like it would be my first mount on the wall or anything so i really have no desire to gussie a mount all up just to add another to the wall. I have enough mounts now that if i shot something that was busted up it would probably get a euro or plaque mount done, and i would do it myself to save some money.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page