Can you re-mount a buck?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Can you re-mount a buck??

This question has probably been hashed over here 100 times but I searched and couldn't turn it up. I have a deer head that I had mounted back in 08 and to be honest with you I really really dislike it. He's a 140 8 point and the thought of having to look at this thing for the next couple decades does not exactly thrill me. So much so that I would be willing to pay another taxi to take it apart and re-do it if that is even possible. Is it?? Something tells me that it is not possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 03:22 PM

Re: Can you re-mount a buck??

why not? You may in the end have to get a new cape, but most guys are going to be able to help you as long as the cape was tanned correctly during the initial mount and wasn't messed up anywhere.

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

I see. I would hope that I could use the same cape as I am kinda funny about that. I like knowing the whole thing is from the original deer with color and all. If I had to replace the cape with that of a different buck with different features I would probably just live with it the way it is. I'm weird though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 04:15 PM

let me make a call for you, be in touch soon.....

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 04:26 PM

retract my first statement, Randy just told me that 9 out of 10 he would need a new cape. All depends on initial tanning, gluing, cutting, sewing etc...............
sorry man

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 04:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Send a pic of it Trout...cant be that bad. New cape wouldnt bother me..its the antlers you are displaying.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 05:10 PM
Banned

new cape and a remount, dried capes on forms have memory and will not work on another mount. i remount between 4-6 every year, expect to pay between 150- 250 dollares for a replacement cape.
Joe
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

No it's not that bad but it's also not what I hoped it would be and still to this day get frustrated every time I look at it. Mounts are kinda like Tattoo's in a way. Once they're done, you sort of have to live with it forever. I'll post pics when I get home so that you guys can see what I am talking about. It's ok but I want it to be like i want it to be. My bad in the first place I suppose.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSimmons
new cape and a remount, dried capes on forms have memory and will not work on another mount. i remount between 4-6 every year, expect to pay between 150- 250 dollares for a replacement cape.
Joe
Stupid question but mounts be worked on after the fact at all?? could facial features be changed???
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 05:57 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

There is a possibility that the orginal cape could be soaked out and reused, but it depends wether it was tanned or not, and if tanned, what type. If it was properly tanned with a syntan, it could be reworked. If it was dry preservative, forget it after 2 years ( the natural glues left in the hide by this method do things that become irreversable after a certain point). Alum based tans- iffy.

Where are you located? If you are around York/Adams I could possibly help you. I do crazy things like salvage 7 year old freezer burned capes so the hunter has HIS cape, so who knows, maybe I could salvage your cape. But again, depends on the preservation method used.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page