Deer antlers - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Deer antlers

I shot my first archery buck this year. It's nothing big but I kept the antlers , I cut off the top of the head. My question is what should I do to preserve it, I have it in the freezer and there is a little of the hide and some small pieces of meat left on the skull. I would like to keep the hide attached to the skull and just was going to mount it on a small plaque.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 10:38 PM

Re: Deer antlers

Every set of antlers should be considered a trophy and it honors the animal when they are kept and admired. Look into building a "bug box" to deflesh the bone; you can find examples on line.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 10:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

just let it hang in your garage or shed for a few months and you can peel the dried junk off the skull plate and mount it with the hair on. nothing needed to preserve it. i have ones that are 40 years old with the hair on them.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys I will put it in the shed for a while. Although it's no monster it's a trophy to me.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 02:33 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

There's no easy way to preserve the hide on the antlers, and if you don't remove the hide and meat, it could become a bug buffet this spring, and cause an infestation to any mounts in your house. I guess if you're going to keep them in a shed away from any building with mounts in it, you would be ok. Boiling the skull plate is the easiest way to remove the hide and meat if it has become to hard to cut off with a knife. If you don't want to boil them, you could put it in a bucket of water until it gets soft enough to remove.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 02:37 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I just re-read your post ,and I see you have it frozen. You could take it to a taxidermist and have the small amount of hide preserved and put back on the skull for a minimal charge. Or just cut the hide and meat off with a knife.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpgun
just let it hang in your garage or shed for a few months and you can peel the dried junk off the skull plate and mount it with the hair on. nothing needed to preserve it. i have ones that are 40 years old with the hair on them.
NO they will get dermestid Beatles and will eat any mounts you have in your house what you can do is take it to a taxidermist [censored] do it or put it in a bucket of punesol water for a day then go the next day with a knife and pliers and cut the hide and meat off
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 12:38 PM

cover it in salt,hide and all let it stay that way for a week or two.When it is dried the hide will still be good at this point get Borax from the supermarket ,cover the hide part with it rub it in, let it stay a few days then shake it out good and you are done. The Borax will keep any bugs off it forever.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 10:45 AM

After hide is off put dry preserve on it but you probably dont have that so you could use borax and let it dry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page