Skull Mount cleaning process - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Skull Mount cleaning process

I just bagged my first archery buck last thursday and have been thinking about trying to do a european skull mount on my own. I was wondering whether or not anyone had any experience leaving the head out in the elements in order to 'clean' it. I've read some articles online that talk about burying the skull in the ground, but I'm not willing to risk a coyote running off with it. What about hanging it up? Right now I have it hanging up high on the back of my barn. Will this work if I give it time? Anyone ever try this method? Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 12:42 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Skull Mount cleaning process

It will work but it will take a while. The skull and antlers will become chalky and may even get chewed on by rodents

There is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people asking questions.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 10:26 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

get a knife..take the hide off. get a pot and boil it, everything comes off. only takes about 4 hours. keep picking at it as its boiling.. i left one outside, it turns yellow more then white. boiling is much nicer, and [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 01:15 PM
The Man

Better yet, send it to Derek Frank (aka ChasinTail here on HPA) and have him clean it with his beetles and then whiten it for you.

It's well worth the $!

"I suppose it is the way of hunters. We are very odd fellows." ~ Peter Hathaway Capstick
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the advice Adam. But your brother (and my roomate) once told me that he is ten times the hunter that you are, and that I should always consult him before I follow your advice.
hahahaha
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 03:01 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I just got done cleaning my 8 point I got this year in archery !! Sat down at kitchen table rolled up my sleeves opened a yuengling lager watched the thursday night football game and took my time cleanibg it with a sharp knife, took over a hour had a few more beers and came out nice!!! I then usually salt it for a few days till it dries out and put it on plaque.

" Live For Today As Tomorrow Is Promised To No One "
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 11:30 AM
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Better yet, send it to Derek Frank (aka ChasinTail here on HPA) and have him clean it with his beetles and then whiten it for you.

It's well worth the $!
X2, he does a fine job.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 02:29 PM
The Man

Thanks guys
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 10:45 PM

Clean off as much flesh and hide, brain matter, eyes, etc. the best you can. Makes the process easier.
Lightly boil the skull. A long hard boil seems to make the bones more brittle.
Carefully clean off the cooked meat. I boiled a second time and got more off the skull and nasal cavity. Save the teeth as the loosen and will fall out. Glue on later.
When you have the skull as clean as possible, I air dried it for several days.
Go to a hair salon supplier and buy a package of 40% peroxide/whitener. Used for hair only.
The 3% in the brown bottle in the drug store isn't strong enough..
Mix the paste up and paint the skull, let dry over night and rinse off. If you want it whiter, do it again.

Cost of the 40% peroxide/whitener was about 10.00 last year.

My finish was a clear satin finish lacquer that I lightly sprayed on only to seal the finished skull.

Did my son's buck last year.

Bowhunter.. You can always pay somebody to do it for you BUT for the couple bucks and the time and effort you will be rewarded with the satisfaction of doing it yourself!

https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbt...18#Post1469818

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 09:46 AM
Banned

Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C

Awrighty now. You want to do it yourself? Fine. Here is how a guide/outfitter in British Columbia did my grizzly skull. He simmered it in a pot of water outside, and then pressure washed it. It came out of that process clean as a whistle, and then he treated it with the 25% Hydrogen Peroxide that beauticians use. It is a nice and clean skull, and just as nice as the ones I have had done by my taxidermist.

My mountain lion skull was not cleaned. I like it all stained and ugly, just the way it is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page