Opinions on Kuntz taxidermy - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Opinions on Kuntz taxidermy

I see by his website info that he is reasonable in price with a fairly short turnaround time. My question to those of you who have used him is in the details. Do the small details like eyes, mouth and ears get the attention to detail. In my opinion these details make the difference between a good mount and a excellent one. I got a big buck last week and looking to get him mounted. I know several good local guys but they are pricey with very long turnaround time.
I emailed him last week but no reply yet. Due to bad hearing I don't like using the phone unless I have to. Anybody know what his hours are at the shop?
Opinions please ,Thank you

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 11:45 AM

Re: Opinions on Kuntz taxidermy

Randy does 1st class work. He's done my bobcat and my wife's hen pheasant. He has also done my brother's bear he got last year. My brother lives in northern Potter County. He brought it down to have Randy do the work. When it was done Randy hauled it to Potter County for us to pick up at Randy's camp. A great guy doing great work at great prices. Taxidermy is his way of putting food on the table for he and his family so he's not gonna do a bad job and take a chance of taking food out of his kids mouths in the future.

Sorry for the bad cell phone quality pics.

I will be taking all my work to Randy for as long as he will take it. Good luck and I hope I've helped you.

Honesty is my only excuse.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 11:51 AM

No complaints from me and he has done two dozen jobs for me in the last three years. No deer to show but here are some close ups of other species he did. His personal character is also top notch. You won't catch him bad mouthing live or via pm any other taxidermist or visiting their shops to attempt to intimidate them over pricing. The same can't be said for many others including some right here.....

damage to nose was self induced, mount dropped flat down on the nose upon first attempt at hanging it

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 12:44 PM
Banned

If you have good local guys and they are higher in price with a little longer turnaround to me that tells me there quality outweights the price! Remember " the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wald Jager
I see by his website info that he is reasonable in price with a fairly short turnaround time. My question to those of you who have used him is in the details. Do the small details like eyes, mouth and ears get the attention to detail. In my opinion these details make the difference between a good mount and a excellent one. I got a big buck last week and looking to get him mounted. I know several good local guys but they are pricey with very long turnaround time.
I emailed him last week but no reply yet. Due to bad hearing I don't like using the phone unless I have to. Anybody know what his hours are at the shop?
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

Hpa sponsor also!!

Pa Hunting-It's a natural high!
2D 2F
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSimmons
If you have good local guys and they are higher in price with a little longer turnaround to me that tells me there quality outweights the price! Remember " the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wald Jager
By your statement you infer that higher price equals better work. Perhaps that is not your intent. One guy local is hi price and a year or more and from what I hear is ok. other guy is hi price and about 9 months to a year and very good. If I wasn't trying to sell my old house, pay for the new house and pay for the needed improvements I would probably use the last guy I mentioned. If I can save a few hundred dollars and get quality work I will and put that money into the house which in the long run ups the value for me. I am not cheap but thrifty, I do pay for quality in many areas,tools, building materials,hunting equipment etc. Right now it's about priorities and the best value for the money. I realize this buck is a once in a lifetime for me and I want to get the best I can afford.

post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 09:54 PM

I have a suggestion. If you have other priotities at this time that are needing attention, you could take it to a taxidermist, have him skin it cut the antlers off how they need and send the cape to be tanned. Keep the tag and antlers and tanned cape until you can afford to have it mounted. Once the cape is tanned it will last forever. That is just my suggestion.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 11:45 PM
Regular Visitor

Thumbs up YodelDog827. I couldn't say it better. With the current state of our economy I have run that process for quite a few clients the past few years.
wald jager- congratulations on your trophy. If I can be of any assistance look me up.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodelDog827
I have a suggestion. If you have other priotities at this time that are needing attention, you could take it to a taxidermist, have him skin it cut the antlers off how they need and send the cape to be tanned. Keep the tag and antlers and tanned cape until you can afford to have it mounted. Once the cape is tanned it will last forever. That is just my suggestion.
If this was my 10th big buck that is certainly a good option. Being my first big buck worthy of more than a skull plate mount,Im sure you understand why I want to have it done. Looks like I'll be saving the overtime money when I get it to help pay for this.

post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-18-2014, 11:00 PM
Frequent Contributor

He mounted my red fox and it is awesome. I'd drive 4 hours again if I mounted another animal. It was worth the drive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page