Taxidermist issues - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Taxidermist issues

To keep a long story short I shot a squirrel on the opener in October 2012 up at camp. I wanted to get it mounted so I dropped it off at a taxi up there that did a deer for me 2 years prior. Also I like supporting the local "mountain business's" more so then down home. He said he should have it done by spring gobbler season for me. I paid about 90% up front which was my own choice he said just to leave half. As of this date it still has not been completed. I have made 2 phone calls to the Taxidermist since then, one being November 2013 he said he got too busy with deer and bear the year before. Next call I made was June of this year. He said he's still trying to finish up bear and deer from the 2013 season. But he re assured me he "has not forgotten about me" I don't want to keep calling and make it seem like I'm bugging him but I want my mount back already. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do or how to handle the situation? I don't want to call out the name of the place, but he is a well known taxi in Potter County which is why I trusted him in the first place after getting reviews from locals. Any advice for me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 08:08 PM

Re: Taxidermist issues

Dont pay most of it up front next time and/or use a different one. Maybee aske him if he can set a new expected finish date that way you wont be let down and feel like it is a hassle. Be glad it is a squrille and not rhat big buck.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 08:09 PM

Did he promise a completion date? Was it in writing?

He never said it would be easy;
He only said it would be worth it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

He said he should have it done by spring gobbler the following year and thats why I didn't put a call out till November. No nothing was in writing other then the reciept for down payment.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 10:38 PM

I had an issue with one of our local boys down here. All kinds of excuse's I finally got ahold of the state attorny general(consumer affairs ?) They sent me a form to fill out and return - strangely I got a call from the Taxi the day I got the form. Not sure if they sent him something or not didn't have alot to say to him when I picked up.

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 11:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'd tell him to keep the squirrel and get your money back. Shoot another this season and take it somewhere local.

I see said the Blind Carpenter to his Deaf Helper as he picked up his Hammer and Saw!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 12:31 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I took a pheasant and small buck to a taxidermist and got it back about 9 years later..The part time ones take their time..If you want a mount done quick take it to a full time taxidermist..
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 11:55 PM
The Man

That stinks... best of luck to you.

2F for a while...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 12:33 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Had a taxidermist tell me not to put more than half down and wait to pay during pickup cause she needed "motivation" to finish it. Last time I went there !

I'd ask for your money back.

It's a good spot. Just not today.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page