European Mount - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

European Mount

I have shot a 7-point in archery season, not a trophy buck, but I would still like to attempt a European mount with this buck. I know you can have it sent out and beetles can do the work, however, I'm considering two other methods. First, i have heard of burying the skull, by covering the antlers in a garbage bag and removing as much as possible prior to burying. I know that this may result in a skull that is not pure white, but is natural. Second, I've heard of "boiling" and picking away at the flesh material. A concern for burying are that rodents or bugs may decay the antlers? Any suggestions for this European skull mount since I have never done this before? I realize that I will have to glue in the teeth or nose piece, and that the lower jaw will have to be tied in, eventually. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 05:21 PM

Re: European Mount

I have used the boiling method. It is a little bit of work and it helps to get as much of the "stuff" off as you can. I used a coat hanger to get the brains out. Oh yes DON'T use your wife's good pot!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 05:27 PM

either way ya do it Pitt11, you can still bleach it. like spark said....dont use your wifes good pot and it is probably a good idead not to even let her see it. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 05:35 PM
Banned

Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C

I watched a guide/outfitter do my grizzly skull in British Columbia and here is how he did it. First he boiled the skull until all of the meat and brain material was well done. He then pressure washed the skull, blasting out all of the soft tissue. He used beautician's 25% hydrogen peroxide to bleach the skull. It looks professionally done to me, and just as nice a job as you get with beetles.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 12:33 PM

the most important thing to keep in mind here is that you DO NOT want to boil it. simmer is the word.

He never said it would be easy;
He only said it would be worth it!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 12:50 PM

I've done a number of skull by boiling, picking and pressure washing. Now, I just spend a little bit of $ and the local beetle guy take care of it. 3 week turn around and it looks great compared to what I was doing. One of the moderators here is who does mine. http://www.bugsandbones.com

edit: just went to his website. LOL, that's both of my skulls from last year on the front page.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 01:27 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny z
the most important thing to keep in mind here is that you DO NOT want to boil it. simmer is the word.
That is the key. Just let it simmer for awhile and try to be patient. I know you'll want to pick and scrape but the longer you leave it the better. Just think of when you cook something in a crockpot....the flesh will come right off. While you are waiting its a good time to work on cutting out the pattern for the mount. After the skull it picked very clean i let it sit and dry and then finish scraping if i missed anything.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 01:38 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Like has been said a coat hanger works well to help get the brains out. I like to cut the coat hanger and bend the end to form a small "hook". After the skull is cleaned to satisfaction and the wood mount is finished it is time to paint. Put plastic bags that are big enough to fit over the antlers and then tape around the bases. after the antlers are covered its time to give a few coats of white paint. here are a couple that have been done. The first pic was done by me and my cousin. we have also done two others, one for my grandfather and one for him. The last pic is of the european mount that i did last year. Have fun and enjoy the smell of fresh deer head soup haha its worth it though

[img][/img]

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 05:24 PM

I simmer mine.....

I put dawn dish soap in with the water to cut the grease...bout half a bottle....

After 4hrs or so, whenever most of the major stuff is off, I pull it out and wash and pick...I think the quicker you get the stuff off the better...over cooking can ruin it...I then add new water..when you dump it look for teeth etc...save them for later...add the other half of the dish soap in the new pot....cook till finished....as a gauge, the meat on the very back of the skull is always last...when it comes off, its done...cook it longer and it can fall apart....

Then I goto the dollar store and buy a bunch of big bottles of peroxide....

Wrap and tape the bases tight so they won't get wet(I do the same when boiling so the antlers don't discolor...) and soak the skull in the peroxide for a week or so or till white like you want.....the higher concentrated peroxide commonly sold for hair coloring works good and faster but I never messed with it....

Here's mine from last year...

I've done a yote and 2 bear skulls as well as bucks....the bears I couldn't get real white....they were REAL greasy....

Do NOT use bleach...it will break the bone down over time and fall apart....within a year the bone is real chaulky and brittle...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks to all for their input and suggestions. So I attempted it today, it soaked in water overnight and then I went through the simmering process and removed flesh material periodically. I also used a pressure washer as suggested, and I must say it saved time and worked well. I have removed the majority of the flesh material but still have a very little bit here and there, that I'll get to tomorrow. So I'm not sure how much I should remove from the nasal area; should I remove the cartlidge, as seen in the picture? How should I go about the teeth, should I remove and attempt to get any flesh out, or leave as is? I currently have the skull soaking in a bucket of clean water, I don't think this should hurt and just trying to keep all the material soft. Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page