The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

chanterelles

5K views 33 replies 16 participants last post by  uncle buck 
#1 ·
Took a walk today and found some chanterelles.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Are Chant patches consistent year after year, providing the weather is right for them ? In other words, do you find them pretty much each year in the same place, or is it hit or miss, and you just walk until you come across them ?

Like I said, I'm not up on Chants, as the heat normally keeps me out of the woods.

#11 ·
No because they are a rare/incidental find for me but I went out yesterday and struck out, still got a couple pints of black raspberries though. I've found them mid June thru early Sept so the season is long, I just don't live in a super fertile mushroom area and don't get in the woods a lot this time of year.

#18 ·
Nice find Yinzer. I agree the cleaning can be tough. those gills running the length of the stem are
a good ID but can be bad for holding dirt. I found a bag full this morning but there were a good
many already past their prime. Check out the little three prong ginseng in the pic, there was a
two prong right below the knife also but the pic was too blurry to post.

Attachments

#20 ·
I cooked them in butter/olive oil then froze them, per instructions from the interwebs. That was the first time I found enough to put away. I am not expecting them to be anything too special, figure at this point I'll use them in risottos and sauces.

Went back looking for more last week thinking the second round of heavy rains would bring another flush, but there weren't near as many. Only had about a half hour, I got enough for dinner and headed home.

Got some trumpets Saturday, right along a busy walking trail. Those I dry and use in sauces and gravies. They have an incredible smell when dried.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.