The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community - View Single Post - Broccoli and Cauliflower problems
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2011, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Woodywoodduck

Broccoli and Cauliflower problems

Anyone else every have a problem with Broccoli and Cauliflower Not forming heads?

Father-in-law and I planted 6 Broccoli and 6 Cauliflower plants back at the end of April....I got the Broccoli Plants from my Buddy, he planted his a week AFTER I planted mine and he has been cutting heads and spears of Broccoli for the past 5 weeks..I bought the Cauliflower Plants from Stauffers of Kissel Hill in Linglestown, I have not gotten a head form on my Broccoli or Cauliflower!

We planted the Cauliflower at the same time as the Broccoli, we planted 6 Cauliflower plants then 6 Cabbage Plants then 6 Broccoli Plants in the same row with good spacing between each plant...My Buddy does the Same thing on his Farm, takes a row and starts with Broccoli then cabbage then Brussel Sprouts and lettuce mixed in between them....he doesn't like cauliflower so he never grows any to sell nor plant in his garden..

The Cabbage has been forming nice heads for the past 3 weeks, it is about ready to be cut and make in the Kraut...We pulled the Broccoli and Cauliflower on Saturday...they just kept growing taller and taller and showed not a sign at all of forming heads!

I talked to my Buddy about this, he says he never heard of that happening and can not figure out WHY his plants that came from the Exact Seeds that my Plants came from of the Broccoli were forming heads then spears and mine just keep growing taller and taller and forming no heads at all...

Anyone ever have this problem? We are going to start some more broccoli and cauliflower either this weekend or next weekend to have to plant in August for a fall crop...hoping they will grow heads and not just do what the other plants did of just growing taller and taller!

Frustrating, I love fresh cut broccoli and cauliflower from the garden, was looking forward to some and the plants didn't do what they were supposed to do!!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome