The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

My Ontario bear hunt

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  huntinlandscaper 
#1 · (Edited)
Just returned from a great trip to Temagami Ontario on a spring bear hunt with Lake Herridge Lodge. A group of 7 of us made the drive from Maine, Pennsylvania, and Ohio. All 7 of us were using crossbows. The lodge is mainly a fishing camp but they do take a limited number of bear hunters each spring and fall. When we arrived, my buddy and I were shown to our lakefront cottage which sat right above the sand beach which was complete with boats, motors, kayaks, paddle boats and paddle boards, along with a swimming platform that each guest was free to use. As the hunters began filtering in, 4 of which never hunted black bear, we were introduced to our guides and the stories began to flow. Day one consisted of everyone getting acquainted with the lodge, its staff, and a shooting test to ensure competency on stand. Each hunter was required to place 3 consecutive arrows into a 3 inch circle at 30 yards before being able to hunt.

Day two began with a hearty breakfast and a meeting with the guides to go over safety, shot selection, bear identification, and after shot protocols. Several guys headed out fishing then returned for the 2:00 dinner before everyone headed out to the stands with their guides and bait for the first sit. Every stand had cell phone service so we could all keep in touch during the hunt. Everyone saw bears except for one hunter. 3 bears hit the dirt including first bears for a father and son, and a huge 420 boar for another hunter that came in woofing and tried to climb up the ladder stand. I saw three bears the first evening. I passed on what I believed to be a sow that had a much bigger bear on her trail. The big bear stayed in the bush and watched the sow eat at the bait. The other bear never committed so I watched my first two bears walk away. At last light I had a small bear come in that I passed as well. There was lots of celebrating at the lodge that night after the big bear made it back to camp at 11:30.

Day three we had 4 hunters hit the stands. One missed a big bear at the bait when they walked into the stand. Two hunters scored on nice bears that night. I saw the same small bear that I did the night before so it got another pass. After day three our group was 100% on opportunity.

Day four only had two hunters left with tags to fill. I hunted the same bait that I have been as it has been very active. The same small bear came into the bait, which I passed, then another larger bear came in. After I decided I was gonna shoot it, it never presented me a good shot and wandered off into the bush. At last night it made the mistake of coming back and I placed a perfect arrow behind the shoulder with the Ravin R20. The bear ran a small semi circle through the bush then crashed with a death moan. As I waited for the guides, the other hunter texted that he had shot a bear too. It was another long night but the celebrating flowed back at camp with everyone tagged out.

The remaining days were spent fishing, relaxing by the campfire on the beach, story telling, skinning, and cutting up meat for everyone's ride home. It was a great trip and one I hope to make again next year.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
A few more photos of my bear. It was one of two sows killed in camp. She came in at #120 dressed. For up there they estimate her at 3 years old. The guide cut the claws out for me as well to save as a memory of the hunt.

Attachments

#8 ·
As with anywhere, prices can vary widely. We paid about $1900 American for our hunt which included full meals and use of boat and model for fishing. Licenses, tags, and export fees were another $340. Plus you have to add in tips which can run several hundred bucks.

Reactions: BBB
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.