GPS question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

GPS question

I have an old Magellan(15yrs) that is accurate to within 30ft. I've been told the new models are accurate to within 1-2 ft. Does anyone know about this, and which models are the most accurate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 12:07 PM
New Arrival

Re: GPS question

Accuracy hasn't improved that much in affordable handheld units. To even get to a 5 foot accuracy you're looking in the $800+ range. The garmin 60csx advertises a 3 meter accuracy when recieving WAAS correction signals. They seem like nice units, but at $360 or so, they're still pricey for most users. I work with GPS on a daily basis (surveying) and the submeter accuracy mapping units we use run about $8,000.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 12:14 PM

The GPS systems we used for surveying and connecting to our dozers 5 years ago were running in excess of a million for the system, which included a $5K notebook pc with wireless capabilities. In any event, a standard hand held unit like my slightly outdated Garmin Summit HC is more than capable for my hunting needs. It gets me within a foot or two of most of my waypoints, the only negative is the cloud cover/foliage cover, but still it works as good as the million dollar system my company uses.

Only the owners of a GSP would truly understand, "If I fits, I sits".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the info
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 12:25 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYoCoTransplant
The GPS systems we used for surveying and connecting to our dozers 5 years ago were running in excess of a million for the system, which included a $5K notebook pc with wireless capabilities. In any event, a standard hand held unit like my slightly outdated Garmin Summit HC is more than capable for my hunting needs. It gets me within a foot or two of most of my waypoints, the only negative is the cloud cover/foliage cover, but still it works as good as the million dollar system my company uses.
Cloud cover shouldn't have any effect on a gps.

WMU 5B 5C 4C 3D 2G
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 04:08 AM

It does in extreme weather. Had it happen once the last day of the season one year. Bad storm came up and couldn't get a reading.

You canít get them if you ainít in the woods!!
<span style="font-weight: bold">GOD BLESS</span>
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 03:00 PM
RS
Frequent Contributor

I use an etrex vista HCx, for work and hunting, the HCx designation is important, because it has a better reciever for getting signal under canopy cover, it has a color screen, expandable memory, and you can load the topo maps onto the unit, it has alot of funtion and features, it will take time and use to reach the full potential of use, cabela's list a bundle(unit, topo dvd, 128 MB micro sd card(i use a 2G card) and carry case) price of $349.99

Drawback of this unit is the small screen.

http://www.gpsinformation.org/penrod.../vistahcx.html

another unit with simialar features and a bigger display screen is the:

Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx

http://www.gpsinformation.org/penrod/g60csx/60csx.html

Accuracy of both is hand grenade close.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 12:57 AM
The Man

I wonder if outdoorpersons really use their GPS for things.
We use it to find our way out of the woods..
However if your a Shroomer...Since many of the edible shrooms come up in the same place year after year after year. You could take a locatiion reading for example of where you found those expensive Golden Chanterelle..Save it to the memory. Now if you found them last July 18 2010. You go back to the spot on your saved GPS unit on July 18 2011. It's going to take you right to those Golden Chanterelles..

Same for fishing holes when your in your boat...If you stumble on the old stream bed.. Take a reading and you can go back to it time after time after time..

Me? I have a Magellen for the woods and a TOMTOM for the car...15 feet in the woods is only 4 + yards. Unless you have buried treasure out there in a Mason jar?.. 15 feet off is still good for shrooms, tree stands, and old stream bottom locations..
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 03:43 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My old Garmin E-trex Legend has a few hundred waypoints stored. I can find any of them any time I try. I mark all the SFL corners i find holding the GPS over the rock cairn. I've never had any problem finding them again. Following a old road thru the woods, the track is accurate enough that zoomed all the way in I can tell when I'm walking in the other rut on my way out...close enough for me!

The newer 60csx are much better at keeping a lock, some have reported getting a lock while still inside the house! I have changed how I carry it in order to keep the antenna pointed up. I have a case w/ a belt clip and I clip it on my shirt collar, bib suspender, etc. and it keeps locked or quickly re-locks in most situations

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to pry them out of the developments!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2010, 01:49 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I use a Delorme PN-20 almost every day I'm in the field.
I am always adding waypoints and pieces of info to the maps I have made using Delorme's Topo software. Plus, with a GPS in my pocket, I never worry about following tracks and new trails out of my usual area. Never lost, can always get back to the truck.
I print out the maps so the guys in camp with a GPS can use a compass and some common sense and know where things are.

Charlie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page