How do I fix a GoreTex seam problem? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 04:24 PM Thread Starter

How do I fix a GoreTex seam problem?

My hunting partners dad died a few years back. He was the same size as I am and she gave me a bunch of his hunting clothes. Last season I used a GoreTex camo jacket and pants set for waterfowl hunting. I noticed the crotch seam in the pants leaks (yeh, ... an uncomfortable place to spring a leak).

Is there anyway to repair a leaky seam in GoreTex. The pants are uninsulated, have a mesh liner, then the GoreTex liner, then a camo outer shell to them.

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #3333FF">Atlantic Flyway</span></span>
Member:
~ NRA
~ York Riflemen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 11:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: How do I fix a GoreTex seam problem?

I do not think you can repair goretex..If you cut into it will leak...Best to use it as it is or toss it and get a new goretex..
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 11:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Seam Sealer, any outdoor store will carry it in the camping section. I like the liquid used for tent seams. It is common on gore-tex garments that they stitch right through the gore-tex layer and of course that will be the weak link. Good idea to use it on all the seams before the problem starts. That seam was probably pulling harder than the others.

You may also find especially after washing the outer fabric will saturate when wet. The Gore-tex will still keep you dry but will completely lose its ability to breathe because of the saturated outer fabric. Then you sweat and get wet on the inside swearing the gore-tex is leaking. If it saturates just spray it with fabric waterproofing. I usually do mine every few years.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 12:42 AM
Frequent Contributor

Get out your wader repair kit or buy one and use the "cement" to glue the seam back together.

SGT CARL J. MORGAIN KIA IRAQ 22 MAY 05
A CO 1/112 INF TF 2-7 US ARMY
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundragriz
Seam Sealer, any outdoor store will carry it in the camping section. I like the liquid used for tent seams. It is common on gore-tex garments that they stitch right through the gore-tex layer and of course that will be the weak link. Good idea to use it on all the seams before the problem starts. That seam was probably pulling harder than the others.

You may also find especially after washing the outer fabric will saturate when wet. The Gore-tex will still keep you dry but will completely lose its ability to breathe because of the saturated outer fabric. Then you sweat and get wet on the inside swearing the gore-tex is leaking. If it saturates just spray it with fabric waterproofing. I usually do mine every few years.
Yes, the outter camo layer does get saturated. I will try some waterproofing spray on the outter layer.

Thanks Guys!

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #3333FF">Atlantic Flyway</span></span>
Member:
~ NRA
~ York Riflemen
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 03:10 AM
RIZ
Diehard Outdoorsman

there are many product to fix seams and renew the water repent out layer properties. check some out here

http://www.rei.com/category/40006343

RIZ
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 01:47 AM

I was involved with a development of the Gore-Tex Material Seam Sealing Machine.

The seal is made by two wheels with a hot air nozzle. The material is smashed while hot creating the seam.

I would imagine some type of epoxy or if you can get it hot use the technique above.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page