I need a new camo hunting outfit - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I need a new camo hunting outfit

I been lookin into a new camo hunting outfit. Alot to choose from, thats for sure. Been lookin online at BassPro(in store also) and Cabelas. Basically, they are the only two places I shop anymore for stuff like this. Two sets ive been lookin at are

Cabelas GORE-TEX® MT050® Whitetail Extreme™ Parka

and

ArcticShield® H7 Pro Series Jacket

They're just the parkas, but ill be gettin parka and bibs. Does anyone have any experience with either of them? I like the idea of the GoreTex in the MT050, and am wondering how waterproof the ArcticShields are. Are they both lightweight? If anyone has any experience on either set, please let me know. Thanks alot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 11:39 PM
The Man

Re: I need a new camo hunting outfit

I've got experience with them both. The water proofing on the arctic shield is ok, but the breathability suffers. I warm up easy, and I would sweat my butt off in that jacket when I worke it! The MT050 is the better of the two in my opinion. You can't go wrong with gore-tex. However, the jacket is a little heavier than I prefer, but it will keep you warm. The only other draw back with both jackets is, in extreme cold, they both get a little bit noisy, but nothing major.

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks Borden. The waterproofing is just "ok" with the Arcticshield? Can you explain? I sit all day long, whether its raining/snowing/whatever. I dont wanna get wet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 02:32 AM

i learned my lession about 4 years ago when i got my newest set of orange.. i got hush hide its water proof and wind proof and it wasent too much i think 150$ for each .. but if i was doing it again i would get some thing high end thats very lite the stuff i got weighs more then me its warm but heavy if i deside to walk or help with the drives i have to take the set off .. on that note next year ill be looking for a nice shell thats gortex that offers a lot of different things even if i have to pay 400 for the set it would be worth it .. and then go layers of higher end items..
the old set of semi decent thermals with pants and then orange bibs ..thermal top long sleave shirt flanal and jacket just isent cuting it..

i think im gona go with a set of cold gear.. high end thermals.. set of decent thin windproof water proof flease and a nice gortex windproof shell. and weigh about 30 lbs lighter lol..
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 10:14 PM
Frequent Contributor

I just bought the Rivers West Ambush Jacket and Bibs at Shyda's. This stuff if nice and a lifetime warranty. I have some Cabelas and Browning Gore Tex also. I will let you all know how it is in the rain. It seems very well made.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 10:12 AM
Sage

If your gonna hunt mainly cold weather...be sure to ck out good ole wool! I have owned tons of Goretex, DryPlus & what have ya and when those temp drop...gets noisy. i have gone 360 & am wearing what my Dad suited me in back in 1964...wool!! Whut the heck did he know anyways!! LOL!!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 12:24 AM

wool does rule!! I have been wearing wool jackets and over shirts since I could wear them. just stay away from the burrlocks

Friends don't let friends buy inlines
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks guys. Ive never had wool, besides socks. Dad had woolrich at one point, and it always seemed heavy to me. I dont know if thats the case these days or not, I cant say. Ill have to take your words for it. At this time, im going to pass on wool. Thanks again though.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 12:12 AM
Part of the Community

I just bought Rivers West Sawtooth Mountain Parka at Shyda's. I'm heading to CO for elk next week. I'll let you know how it works...Jeff
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 12:28 AM
The Man

I wore it twice in october rain storms during archery season. It kept me dry from the rain, but I only sat half a day both times, however, when I was walking in/out to my stand, I got moist form the vapor not being able to escape the clothing. Like I said, I heat up quickly, and the breathability isn't all that superb. If you don't sweat alot, I think you'll be okay. If you do, I'd stay away from it. But that's just my opinion

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page