Modifying an Older Loggy Climber - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Modifying an Older Loggy Climber

I have one of the older Loggy bayou stands that has the metal strap and rubber connections to the tree. It's great but there are times that I wish I had a bit more "bite" into the tree; especially when I'm doing the "Loggy Dance" in getting my feet out of the bungie-straps and getting the seat up and praying that the two pieces of rubber that's holding the stand to the tree don't slip.

So I'm looking for a way to modify my stand so that I can have some "teeth" on to it. Has anyone got any ideas or any aftermarket items that I can add on to my stand to make this happen.

Please PM me if you do.

Thanks,

Casey W. Roe

Remember the "Q" in QDM means Quality...not Quantity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 07:35 PM
dce
Sage

Re: Modifying an Older Loggy Climber

Before they went defunk,I believe they sold a spike kit.In my opinion,your life is at risk most times you climb with those stands.I'd retire it and buy something that's a little safer.

When I used one,I modified a way to climb that made me feel safer and it was easy to clim with.I took a gorilla safety strap that wrapped around the tree and hooked my safety harness to it.I then attached a wrist strap used for lifting weights on a pulley system to the strap on the tree.I'd slid the strap up the tree and used the wrist straps to pull myself up.I could get up a tree in seconds that way and I was always strapped in.I never took a deadly fall but I still lost some skin on my face and chest a few times when it was wet out.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

I use the cliimbing aid and getting up the tree isn't a big deal. And once you get locked in there's no problem staying up there either.

However when you climb to the height you want you then have to do the "Loggy Dance" which involves pulling your boots out of the bungee straps, putting the climbing aid down, and getting the seat up and strapped to the tree. That whole process gives me the "pucker factor" real bad each time I do it knowing that only a small piece of rubber is connecting me to the tree.

Would love to see if there's an attachment that can put teeth on the stand so when you go throught this process it's not so concerning.

Casey W. Roe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 06:44 PM
RIZ
Diehard Outdoorsman

i've never had an issue with my loggy and i have the old style. had 1 slip once while climbing down. it was pouring rain and i climbed a beach tree. learned not to climb smooth trees in wet weather.

RIZ
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

I'm thinking about drilling 6 holes through the rubberized area (3 on either side), tightening 2-3" bolts through the holes with lock nuts on them, and clipping off the threaded ends of the bolts at an angle giving me 6 sharp spikes digging into the tree and equally load balancing my weight. Plus I can still retain the rubber piece in case I have to remove the spikes. Anyone ever try this?

Casey W. Roe

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 12:41 AM
Frequent Contributor

I also have the older style with the band, in 15 yrs only slipped once

A smile is like tight underwear ... it makes your cheeks go up
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 04:56 PM
RIZ
Diehard Outdoorsman

you know you can't use that set up on public land

RIZ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page