Bore Snake Inventor? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Bore Snake Inventor?

Could anyone on this forum know who might have invented the bore snake for cleaning rifles and pisols/revolvers.It seems most would say Hoppes or Otis but i believe i've found out through a purchase on Ebay last year.I wonder if these companys could have copied the idea.Wish i knew how to post pics. here but my computer skills are lacking.Anyway lets hear some comments or facts.Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 12:43 AM

Re: Bore Snake Inventor?

Monty Python...lol, I think it was Hoppes

Internet quotes are great, but most are untrue. "Thomas Jefferson"
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 02:36 AM

Bruce Hedge

Treat people as if they're what they ought to be & you help them become what they can be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 12:36 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

That's the Guy!

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Hi everyone.I hate to disagree but i don't believe bruce hedge was the inventor and i will tell you why.I believe it came out years ago.I bought this item on ebay last year and it's a small red tin almost the size of a sucrets tin.Here is what it says on the one side;Worry No Longer About Your Rifles.This Ideal Anti-Rust Rope Will Keep Them In Perfect Condition At All Times.They Are Saturated With A Specially Prepared Rust Preventative.Just Draw Through The Barrel,Done In A Second Or Two And You Can Set Your Rifle Away Indefinitely,No Further Attention Required.(This Metal Box Fits Pocket Of Cartridge Belt).Price 35c Each Ideal Chemical Company,Wilkes-Barre Pa. The Other Side was an advertisement for it's Ideal Rust - Preventive.It said 4oz bottle is 50c; 1 quart $2.00; 1gallon $5.oo.Now i'm almost 60 years old and have lived in wilkes-barre,pa. all my life and have never heard of the Ideal Chemical Company.While searching on the net i came across a Jan.1922 Forest and Stream magazine that had an advertisement for 500 cleaning patches for 15c from the Ideal Chemical Company,Wilkes-Barre,Pa which i believe is the same company.The old rope that was in the tin selled of old oil from propable use and is approx 22" long with an eyelet on one end connected to the rope and it looks like it was wound in copper wire to secure it to the rope and nothing on the other end.It fits perfectly in the tin.Could it be possible they invented it but never got a patend for it?Kind of neat to think it might have started in my home town.Your thoughts are appreciated. Airborne All The Way!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 03:24 AM
Frequent Contributor

The idea has been around a while.
i rember reading back in the 80s about freedom fighters
in south Africa ( that what they called them, then) tying knots in their boot laces, dripping them in used oil and pulling them through the barrles of ak47s to keep them running.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun."
Wayne LaPierre 12/21/12
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 06:08 PM

Your description makes your device sound more like a method of introducing a rust preventative in the bore of a barrel than a method of cleaning.

Regarding patents, they are not a protection of anything, they only offer the legal right to defend the patent by the the patent holder, they are as good as the fees the holder pays their lawyer

Treat people as if they're what they ought to be & you help them become what they can be.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page