Who makes the big stores brand name scopes? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Who makes the big stores brand name scopes?

When I worked at Basspro I found out the their Red Head designated scopes were made by Simmon. Being that I use to get 20% discount on Red Head items I purchased a few for a few guns I use. They work and still work great!!!

I do like the Cabelas designated 35 Rem scope that has a BDC to shoot Hornady ammo.. Thing works great on my used Marlin Model 336 35 Rem... Often wondered who makes Cabelas scopes that are designated for use with the Leverlution Ammo? Who ever it is it sure works great on my Model 336 35 Rem...

Cabelas have a few of the Alaskan models that kind of get up their in price $450-$500.. They are 30 MM tubes but it would be nice to find out who makes these particular scopes for Cabelas.
i'm not one of those people who buy a scope with a brand name just in case I need to sale it down the road.

It just would be nice to find out from the big stores just who is making their glass for them.. Sometimes you could save some $$$$$ by going with a Cabelas scope instead of buying a Nikon scope. Notice that Cabelas shotgun scope kind of equal the Nikon scopes.. You just wonder if the Cabeals scope is actually one made by Nikon for Cabelas?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 11:24 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Who makes the big stores brand name scopes?

I think Weaver makes some of the Cabelas models, thats why you don't see alot of Weaver options in the catalog.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 10:30 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Had the same conversation with an employee in the bargain cave.
Seems that the different models go out on bid to different companies, hence the reason why some models looks like another. But in most cases, from what I was told, was that Bushnell makes most of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I have purchased things in Cabelas Hamburg Bargin cave...Actually...an Encore Prohunter 308 Win barrel and by the time I reached the register it cost me $108.00. However i'm not so sure that I would buy a scope from the Bargin Cave if it looked used.. The employee there did tell me that when people bring things back it goes there in the Bargin Cave.. He also told me that in regards to the T/C Encore barrel that T/C went to new packaging for the Encore barrel hence the reason why it was on the rack.. Now there just wasn't one barrel too so that made sense.. Love the 308 Win Pro Hunter Encore barrel but just won't buy a scope from the bargin cave since it could have been brought back by someone. I did not buy a 270 Win in the Prohunter Encore because there was a nice scratch/nick on the barrel and the discount was not that great at the time.. So as far as Bargin Cave purchases go I really check things out for abuse before I purchase it there..wouldn't it be a shame to buy a scope well over $100.00, $200.00 or $300.00 bucks and it was defective!!!!!

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 12:45 AM
New Arrival

At least one of the bigger name companies in optics does not actually manufacture any scopes. This company specs out a scope and then contracts with an Asian manufacturer to produce that scope at a price point. This is why the same company may have scopes made in different countries. Some of the high end scopes might be made in Japan while others are made in China, etc. I suspect this is what is happening with some of the box store branded scopes. These scopes may be coming off the same assembly line as a well-known company, but with different labels, and oftentimes different components and lenses. I doubt you'll get a definitive answer because unlike gun makers who used to do private label for Sears, etc.,(Many, if not all of the Ted Williams' branded guns were made by Winchester) the actual optics manufacturers probably never put their own company's name on a scope.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 09:52 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win9410
At least one of the bigger name companies in optics does not actually manufacture any scopes. This company specs out a scope and then contracts with an Asian manufacturer to produce that scope at a price point. This is why the same company may have scopes made in different countries. Some of the high end scopes might be made in Japan while others are made in China, etc. I suspect this is what is happening with some of the box store branded scopes. These scopes may be coming off the same assembly line as a well-known company, but with different labels, and oftentimes different components and lenses. I doubt you'll get a definitive answer because unlike gun makers who used to do private label for Sears, etc.,(Many, if not all of the Ted Williams' branded guns were made by Winchester) the actual optics manufacturers probably never put their own company's name on a scope.
I believe that is pretty accurate. Most of the store brand scopes are simply made to spec by one of the big optics factories in Asia. The Cabela's Euro is an exception. It is made by Meopta.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page