Bino's 8x42 or 10x42 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Bino's 8x42 or 10x42

I am not sure what direction, I want to go with. I do hunt some corn fields and some woods as well. What do you suggest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 02:20 PM
The Man

Re: Bino's 8x42 or 10x42

The 10x42's are considered the all around bino and you can't go wrong with them especially with hunting some cornfields. If you were in all woods I would say the 8 power would be the choice, but like I said, you can't go wrong and won't be disappointed with 10x42's. Good luck!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 04:43 PM
klb
Part of the Community

Go try out both. I wanted 10 x 42's for the magnifcation, but I got a bit of image shake with those that I did not have with the 8 x 42's. I'm happy with the 8 x 42's for the most part and only occasionally wish I had more magnification.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 10:25 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

I have 7x42's.

You want to go with a smaller magnification than 10x, in my opinion, as you will gain more useful time in bad light.

The magnification and the objective size determine exit pupil. The bigger the EP, the longer you can see in bad light.

The formula is to divide the Objective Size in mm by the magnification. A 10x42 bino gives you an EP of 4.2. An 8x42 gives you an EP of 5.25. A 7x42 gives you one of 6.0.

You really won't miss the extra magnification, ESPECIALLY if you invest in really GOOD glass. People never believe me till they see it, but you'll see more detail from a great pair of 7x binos than you will from a mediocre pair at 10x.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 11:09 PM

Nikon makes some nice variables models like 8-24 x 25
travelite models ,,very nice
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 11:36 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I had the same decision to make a couple years ago. Talked with a very savvy birdwatcher who uses binoculars all the time. They convinced me that lower magnification is better, since it allows you to pick up a moving target faster. Also told me that if they are decent quality, 6X is plenty for most of what you plan to do.

Since I don't use them enough to warrant spending several hundred dollars, I started checking on ones in the $100 range. Found some good reviews on the Leupold Yosemite models. Bought the 6 X 30 and for the limited amount I have used them, they are pretty clear and have worked well in most conditions. These are also a little more compact, which helps if you plan to carry them a lot.

This model is also made in an 8X and you may want to check them out before deciding.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 11:45 PM
Frequent Contributor

Found a pair of Carson 10x42 on EBAY for $207.00 with shipping from a IMAGINEGEAR. Came with all the extras too I would compare to any top companies out there for clarity and lifetime warranty.

Vegetarian: old Indian word for lousy hunter
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 01:14 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

Guess I'm the weird one in this thread...

I have a pair of Zeiss Conquest 8x30's that are great. They ride in my truck glove box now, as I hunt with a pair of Meopta Meostar 7x42's. The Meopta's are some serious glass. I can see well before shooting light begins, and long, long after. Why is this important? I can tell you, I've avoided spooking a lot of deer that I never would have seen without those glasses. I've found a lot of deer in dim woods from my stand with those glasses, too.

My dad got new bino's for this past season, and I got him to look at a pair of Meopta Meopro's. They are real close to the more pricey Meostars I have, and cost half as much. The Meopro line wasn't out when I got mine.

Even looking over a 400-yard wide field where I hunt, I don't feel underpowered with 7x42's, and I can see with them when no one else can.

One has to work within a budget, for sure, but I always try to advise folks to get the best glass they can in their bino's and in their rifle scopes. There is no comparison in hunting capabilities between great glass and mediocre glass.

My "1st string" hunting rifle is a Winchester Model 70 sporting a Leupold VX7. That scope can peer through real dim light and make a shot possible. My Meopta glasses do the same. Having both on me, I can see to take shots within legal minutes under ANY weather or light conditions. There's a set of antlers hanging on the wall within arm's reach of where I sit because of my Zeiss Conquest scope on my .30-06. Without that scope, I'd never have been able to see to take the shot (that was my best scope at the time).

I have never heard one person say "Geez, I really got too good a scope/binocular". I have, however, heard just the opposite MANY times.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 12:35 PM

10 X 42's
I just purchased a pair of Nikon Monarch ATB's. I really like them.

Never Misses
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 01:06 PM

I use a pair of Redfield 10x42 For everything from 3-d to rifle season on the gas line. I think for the money they were vthe best I found. They work well from 20 yard targets on the 3-D range to checking out deer at 300+ yards.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page