GPS - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

GPS

Looking into a new gps as my older GARMIN Etrex has been acting hinky at times, and losing confidence in it.

Anyone have any experience with the DeLorme Earthmate PN-40 or any other recommendations for a unit that works decent in heavy cover?

Just starting to research online and any experience with GPS handheld units would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 12:56 AM

Re: GPS

I've researched the DeLorme PN-40 and have found that it's the best topo GPS going at present time . I would have purchased one , but I'm waiting for a bigger screen model to mount in my UTV for trail riding .
I read that there is a tough learning curve to get used to , but once your familiar with it's menu , it is very good .
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

I think I've got this narrowed down to the PN40 or the etrex 20. Both in my price range and both with detailed topo maps. Anyone have any real world experience with either of these models?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 03:22 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

how hard are these two units to use for a beginner? I have never used them and want to get my feet wet for trapping and hunting uses.

Victory happens when hours of training meet one moment of opportunity!
BROOKS WAS HERE !
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2011, 03:24 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Are there groups in my area{armstrong/Indiana counties] that I could get help from learning? What companies have best user support ?

Victory happens when hours of training meet one moment of opportunity!
BROOKS WAS HERE !
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly
how hard are these two units to use for a beginner? I have never used them and want to get my feet wet for trapping and hunting uses.
Based on reviews, it appears the learning curve on the PN-40 may be greater than the Etrex20.

I had the etrex legend prior to my purchase of the e trex 20 , and to be honest I picked it for two reasons, one of them being that i figured it would be a little the same. The other reason, is this new gps actuallly also keys on GLONASS, russian satelites. I confess to know not much about GLONASS, but it seems that the more satelites it can hone in on the more accurate.

There are a few youtube videos on line showing how to use the etrex 20 that may be helpful, but in my mind alot of the learning is with it in hand.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly
Are there groups in my area{armstrong/Indiana counties] that I could get help from learning? What companies have best user support ?
Not sure a about groups as I've not looked int that.
As far as customer suppport, I did call Garmin while I was trying to use the SD card with US topos that came with the unit and the fella that I talked to was very helpful in getting my pc ready to read the card (I had to install a basecamp program). This is the only experience I've had with Garmin CS.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 01:30 PM

Garmin Etrex vista hcx here. learning curve is long this unit has ALL the bells and whistles but maps are good sat reception is very good, for basic use its easy to learn and learn as you go. I bought mine because it does have all kinds of features some that I may never use however as technology expands I thought that some of this stuff may come in handy in the future, i have had mine for 3 years and I am not far from being a basic to moderate level user but I do link some of the features of the unit that were not available on others when I got mine like a digital compass that works while you walk. that is just one example. I do not go in the woods without mine now, especially during mushroom season that is when I seem to find places where people dump garbage or have bait sites set up for archery season, I just make it a way point and send the lat/long to my local DWCO and they can find the violation without problem.

It may be a poor choice of words but I am smart enough to understand what you meant.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 02:40 PM
Frequent Contributor

I am upgrading to a garmin but not sure which one , i have a garmin legend i am going to sell. Does anyone have the hcx?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 12:42 AM

I have a Magellan Trition 400...and I dont care for it.

I've been looking at the Garmin eTrex20

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page