rangefinder review - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

rangefinder review

Does anyone know of any real world reviews of the capabilities of rangefinders. What I am looking for is a comparison of the REAL distances that they can range different types of objects (deer, rock, tree) etc. Most of the advertised max ranges on the units is no where near the 'real' use distances.

Born to hunt, forced to work!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 12:10 PM

Re: rangefinder review

I have a Bushnell, I think its rated/called the 1000 as in 1000 yard model.

That number is only good for large and hard objects like houses. For small and soft targets you must cut that number down from 50 to 70 % for ranging things like deer.

At 300 to 500 yards its very difficult to shoot a laser beam at a deer and get the exact distance, so I usually try to find a tree or stone fence ect to take a bead on something close to what I am trying to range.

Also keep in mind if your rangefinder doesnt have the ARC compensator, it is not a true horizontal difference if shooting uphill or downhill.

For instance when I bow hunt I range all the trees at the same height (not the base of the trees) I am at to know what my ranges are before the deer come in.

Gravity only affects projectiles on the horizontal plane, and it doesn't matter if you are shooting uphill or downhill.

For instance if you were standing 100 yards away from a 90 degree vertical cliff and a mountain goat was standing on the side of the cliff 500 yards up, you would sight in as though you were 100 yards away and be dead on. If you reversed positions of shooter and goat, you'd still aim as though you were firing from 100 yards and be dead on.

Well, sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, well, he eats you, so the Dude must abide!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 11:14 PM
The Man

I have the Leica Geovid HD 10x42 Rangefinding binoculars and they are absolutely awesome. They were a gift from my wife and I can't be happier. The glass on them is absolutely incredible and the rangefinder works well on game out to 600 yards for me and reflective stuff out way past that. I wouldn't trade these for anything!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 06:42 PM
KLL
Frequent Contributor

I'm not sure what you mean by real use distances? I have the Swarovski rangefinder. It serves my purposes very well. The reticle is kind of big, but as long as you can hold the unit steady you can range things beyond 1000yds.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

By 'real world' I meant at what ranges can you actually get a reading on a deer, rock, tree, ie. items that you would see in a hunting situation. If a rangefinder is a 600 yard model could I range a rock or tree beside a deer at 600 yards or only 400?

Born to hunt, forced to work!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 10:44 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have owned 3 different LRF's in my life. A Bushnell, Nikon, and my new Leica 800.

I have noticed big differences in these LRF's.

The major difference is the item or critter that the LRF will range on. And they will range on different items differently under inclement weather conditions.

I use mine alot for ground hog hunting. And I range on all different types of items while I am hunting.

It is no big deal for a company to build an LRF that will range on the side of a building at 700 yards. But totally different for one to range on a bale of hay or a deer.

For example, it is extremely difficult for any LRF to range on a deer at 700 yards. Simply because it is near impossible to hold the LRF steady on that deer at 700 yards.

So ergonomics are also a very important part of the LRF.

I really like my Leica's. And I feel they are more accurate, and will range on smaller items than my Bushnell or Nikon would. However I also do not like the ergonomics of the Leica as well as the feel of the Nikon. The Nikon was a good bit bigger, and held on target better than the Leica's.

There are trade off's. And just being the best lazer is not always the best idea.

The best idea are the LRF binoculars as stated above. They have fantastic quality glass, and great ergonomics. And Leica quality. Unfortunately they also have the Leica price. Tom.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

I used to have one of the older Bushnell rangefinders, the Sport 450 I think that's what it was, it ranged a deer once at 589 yards, I have the newer one now and it only ranges out to 300 yards, that's on a building.

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 11:39 PM
The Man

Hogghead hit it on the nail...laser rangefinding technology has continued to improve drastically over the years. All of the higher powered modern lasers I sell are more than capable of being about to give you distance readouts of over 600 yards with ease. The question is, as stated above, can you hold it steady enough on target to get that range??

Also as I stated the Leica's are about as good as they get! I have the binocular ones and wouldn't trade them for anything! However the higher end Nikons and Leupolds do quite well for ranging farther distances. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page