The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

"yeti" style travel cup/mug

4K views 33 replies 22 participants last post by  NorthernPotterCo 
#1 ·
After freezing my butt off out in my buddies boat last week I've been thinking how nice some hot chocolate would have been... LOL. So my question is for those who use this style cup(preferably the cheaper box store variety) do they keep stuff hot/cold while out in the weather and for how long ?

#3 ·
I can't speak about those overly expensive drink cups but I have an old Thermos brand stainless 1 qt thermos bottle I bought 40 years ago, it has a dent in it from when it flew off my car roof one night when I was sitting watching a field for poachers and I heard a shot and took off towards the shot forgetting the thing was on my car roof from earlier when I was standing outside the car. So long as I heat the bottle with hot water before I fill it it will keep my coffee hot all day when I am hunting. After about 8 hours the coffee will be less hot but that is because you have to remove the stopper to pour. Not that I can't afford one of those cups but I just refuse to pay what they cost for a cup. That bottle has served me well through waterfowl hunting, deer hunting and on the and took a licking ad kept on ticking. I don't know if you can even buy a SS thermos today that is as good as the one I have. I bought a pint stainless bottle a couple of years ago and it doesn't even keep my coffee hot for 4 hours and it has a pour through stopper. On the other side of the coin I was with a friend last week who jumped in my truck with one of the big Yeti cups in his hand. For the next couple of hours he was complaining about his coffee never getting cool enough to drink. :grin2:

#12 ·
I have a couple of the old green Stanley's. Well I should say had a couple of the old ones. One was dated 1960 (they used to date stamp them) and belonged to my grandfather. The other I got for gift around 1970.
Both lasted until about 2010 , when within months of each other they stopped keeping things warm all day and were showing some oxidation inside at the bottom. I quit using them and stuck them in the back of the cupboard. Since they had a lifetime warranty, last year I thought I'd see about replacing them. Went on Stanley's website, followed their online claim procedure (easy and fast), and within 2 weeks I had brand new vacuum bottles. ..free of charge. Don't even have to send the old bottle in, just a pic of it. Of course they are now made in China, and I know the new ones will never last 50 years like the originals.

I know a guy that has bought quite a few Stanley bottles at yard sales and flea markets over the years. Gets them for a buck or two....doesn't even bother trying them. Redeems them for brand new bottles.

I never pay for a travel mug either. I just use the cheap one I get for free.

#5 ·
As one of the guys at my work place years ago came into the office carrying his Thermos and praising the container over and over. He said, "It is amazing: If the wife puts ice tea in Thermos it stays cold and if she puts coffee in it...it stays hot." In an exciting voice he proclaims, "How do it know?"

#6 ·
A cup will leak if turned sideways or upside down.

A better choice is a double-walled stainless steel bottle with a cap that seals.

Some of those are expensive, but I bought one at TJ Maxx for about $7.

I haven't tried it with hot drinks, but when filled with ice and cold water, there is still ice at the end of the day, even during the summer.

#10 ·
I have a yeti coffee mug someone gave me as a gift. Its fine if your using it in your truck or at work, but the you can’t put it in a pack, lid would leak. I have a couple of the green Stanley thermos’s, they will keep liquids hot all day. I’ll often fill one with soup if I’m planning a long sit. The lid is used as a cup, works great. As someone else said, I heat it up with hot water before I fill it.

#13 ·
Well thanks for the replies... I don't really want to go the "Themos" route. A little too much volume for my needs - just a little sip or two after flying down the lake at 60 to take the chill off ... LOL. Not too worried about spillage from the top as it will be in my hand or a cup holder. Sounds like the Ozark might fit the bill hopefully one of the 5 Wally Marts will have one.

#21 ·
My kids get me YETI's with sayings or pictures of my grand kids on them but they are to pretty to screw up taking them hunting or to work so I use contigo 20 oz travel cups and they are great.
The snap open spout, the gasket seal top keeps the cold out and whats inside in. They are stainless steel inside and out with a rubber grip band on the outside. When deer hunting I will fill up 2, and they fit in the pack neater than my old Stanley and coffee poured at 5 AM is plenty hot at noon.
The Contigo's are in almost every store and the 20 OZ is about 12 bucks.

#25 ·
RTIC products are great and they run sales a lot. I have 3 of the coolers and 2 of the mugs. I bought 3 coolers on sale for the price of 1 Yeti and they are just as good.

#28 ·
I'm with Woods Walker on this one. I had a half gallon Thermos SS thermos(I really like my coffee out in the boat) I bought GOD only knows how many years ago, and it keeps the coffee, (you could use hot chocolate, but the milk might turn, it"s that hot), so hot you have to wait for it to cool before you drink it. For any interested, powdered creamer works fine.

#31 ·
The old Stanleys were about the best thing available for a long time. I never bought one , but had two for years. A pint model my grandfather bought in the early 1950's and gave me in the early 1960s and a quart bottle my dad bought in the mid 60s and I pilfered in the mid 1970s. I used them both until about 10 years ago, and they still kept stuff hot all day long. However , the inside coating on both started to degrade about the same time, and the coffee kept in them tasted horrible. But 50-60 years service is not bad!!!

I finally got around to replacing them under the lifetime warranty last year. Didn't even have to send in the old bottles, just fill out the online form and include a pic of the bottles. Within two weeks I had two brand new bottles. They keep things warm all day, but sadly are now not near the quality and are of course made in China. I certainly don't expect these bottles to last 50 years. They may not even outlast me!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.