Back Country tent. Pack horse tent. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By coyotejohn

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Back Country tent. Pack horse tent.

I am beginning to gather supplies to go on a colorado elk hunt. I have went twice before but the guy I went with is getting up in age and I’d like to begin to gather my own supplies.
We used a Cabela's Ultimate Alaknak™️ 12-ft. x 12-ft. Tent with a stove inside for heat before. Worked pretty good.
I like to buy something similar.

What are your guys thoughts, what have you used, what is the best quality and best item to pack onto a horse for the trip up the mtn.

Weight is a concern as for the pack up and I’m not sure what size to buy. I’d like to eventually take a group of friends out with me so I’m hesitant on buying something to small. But I also don’t want to buy to big.

I will also be needing supplies for the horse, saddle bags, panniers, and scabbard probably just buy trail max from murdocks. Seems like the best deals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 10:20 PM

You might be better off finding an outfitter who will set up a camp for you and loan / rent you horses and related gear.

The initial cost for the gear you need would be expensive. In addition you might need another person to set up camp especially if you use a decent size tent. Then there is the problem of transporting that gear out west.

Or you could ask your friend who you have been hunting with if you could borrow his gear.

Last edited by Dogface; 12-11-2019 at 10:22 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 11:53 AM

probably also want to set up a cook tent to hang out in case there is bad weather

Life Member NRA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 12:17 PM

My advice to you is.

1. Find a motel close to your hunt area.
2. Find a good place to eat
3. Find a rancher willing to pack out your elk.
4. Last but not least HAVE FUN NOT WORRYING ABOUT ALL YOUR EQUIPMENT YOU LEFT BACK AT CAMP.

We ran a guided outfit for some years out here in Arizona and I could tell you many horror stories of hunters trying to do exactly what you are trying to do. The cost alone for the horse, horse trailer, feed, etc could make a good payment on a small travel trailer.
Dogface and NorthernPotterCo like this.

I carry a gun because I'm to young to die and to old to take a --- whipping.

Last edited by coyotejohn; 12-12-2019 at 12:25 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 12:54 PM

Yeah horses are a problem. They are not necessary in CO unless you want to. If you look at a map of CO there are no places very far from a trail. Many people are complaining that the "go in deep" crowd has really changed hunting in CO. You go in deep only to run into people headed in deep from the opposite road/trail.

There are a lot of people using/renting llamas now, seems the in thing to do. They don't require nearly the attention of horses. If it's something you want to do, that's one hting. If you just want to go elk hunting it's very doable without that.

Tent would depend on archery or rifle season. I'm archery and carry a two person backpacking tent. If I was rifle hunting I'd look at a Kodiak Flex bow or Davis or Montana wall tent and drive back to set up camp.

“Aw, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Fourteen percent of all people know that.”

“Just because I don’t care doesn’t mean I don’t understand.”
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 04:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

No personal experience with either but I know Kifaru and Seek Outside always receive very good reviews, you'll find lots of info/reviews on the web. Both are Colorado designed and manufactured (I think Kifaru was the innovator, I know they have been around a long time). I've considered them but I mostly use a tent in warm/hot places with flying and ground nuisances so prefer a completely enclosed tent. Both brands are used a fair amount in Alaska. Sure can't beat their space to weight ratio. Their big tents weigh similar to my non-standup backpacking tents. As with any tent if you cut their person rating in half that is probably an appropriate size.

https://store.kifaru.net/8-man-tipi-p78.aspx

https://seekoutside.com/stand-up-tents/

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks for the comments so far.

The hunt has been a rifle hunt, tends to get pretty cold, but I would love to get out there archery hunt once i learn the land some more.
It is about a 3 hour hike to the top of the mtn, switch backs the entire way up. We load the horses up and they carry our supplies in. Tough climb for a person and the horse. The horses are then used for travel once the camp is up. Ride them about a half hour out to where we hunt at. The horses make the trip a lot more accessible. No they are not mandatory but they make the climb in a lot easier and the pack out with an elk much much easier. There are no roads into this BLM land. Nothing close. Surrounded by cliffs, and once section of ranchers land which will not give any access. I feel this helps to keep some of the pressure out and it’s one of those spots that you have to want to get to. Not just the average Joe is going to make this climb.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page