Rubber Boots? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Rubber Boots?

Not sure if this topic has been covered before?
Considering buying a pair, I want something well insulated for Colder weather.
My feet get cold easy so my concern is the sweating issue. So question is for those who use them is the sweating a problem.
So far I like what I've read on LaCrosse. Any feedback much welcomed.
Just like to add I'd be using them at a local spot I hunt so were not talking about long hikes in these boots.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 05:45 PM

I hunt in an old pair of rubber boats with a liner, can't remember the brand, not expensive at all. My feet always stay dry and warm in them. Sweating is only an issue if I'm really exerting myself, hiking straight up a mountain or dragging, etc. I don't wear them if I'm gonna be covering tons of ground, but for shorter walks and stand hunts they are perfect.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 06:55 PM

Picked up a pair of Lacrosse Alfa boots for this year with the side zippers. Work great to tuck you pants in. Still will wear my felt packs when it's real cold.
SRA-5C+ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 07:15 PM

Like LaCrosse, but if more than a short walk, rubber boots=sweat. I opt for other types unless I'm in very wet conditions, or wet snow. Worn them in Maine as was happy with them. But I found fleece socks keep me more comfortable when wearing rubber. As a side note got a pair of insulated Muck boots for doing stuff at the house and they seem pretty nice.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 07:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Lacrosse Alpha Burly's, AWESOME... 800 or 1000 can not go wrong...

UBP Life Member
Full Sunday Hunting Supporter
Beyond Century mark in Bow kills.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 07:40 PM
The Man

Last year I switched from Muck to Dry Shod...About the same price and they were touted as being more comfortable. And they are. Dry Shod was started about 10 years ago by the same guy that designed and started Muck Co.. I just have their regular farm boot, but like I said it is more comfortable than the Mucks,which I wore for years. Dry Shod makes a heavy cold weather boot.

As far as sweat, the Dry Shod are pretty good to a point...better than most. But with any rubber boot, if you have trouble with sweaty feet, eventually they will sweat.

And the nice thing is there are no rubber boots still made in the US (at least that I could find, and I searched hard), so you don't have to worry about if it's made in China....all rubber boots seem to be!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 02:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have owned several different pairs of boots from Rocky,Wolverines,Danner 1600, LaCrosse 800 and 1600,pac boots and Muck boots !
I have found that the Muck Arctic Pros are the best I have used for cold to very cold conditions and my feet were the first to always get cold and make me get up and move around to warm them up. So I went and bought the Muck Arctic Pros 2 sizes bigger than I normally wear. Then I went and bought the Cabela's Extreme cold socks that are thick and my feet fit snug in the boots but leave plenty of room in the toes so they are not tight enough to restrict my feet but just hold my boots from slipping on my foot. I also take along a couple hand warmers and if my feet start getting cold I'll put one down it the toe area and I'm good to go and sit 12 hrs in some very cold weather !

Blend in or go hungry !!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-01-2019, 10:28 PM

I've been wearing LaCrosse boots with different degrees of insulation for years and love then due to the snug fit around the ankles. I've found that wearing a thin polypropylene liner sock next to my skin with good merino wool socks wicks moisture away from my feet and that's critical to staying warm. Like Redlab said, make sure you have wiggle room for your toes so your circulation isn't impeded.

The older I get, the stronger gravity becomes.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 12:19 AM
Banned

I use a pair of 1000 gram field and stream, "Before they sold out", and they sold out. One place to look is tractor supply they have some great deals going on now.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 03:02 AM
Part of the Community

Maybe consider a pair of pac boots.. Kenetrek makes some great boots.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page