Rain Gear / Sitka Users - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Rain Gear / Sitka Users

Looking for people with specific experience with the thunderhead series or the couldburst series.

The thunderhead seems like the logical purchase because it seems as if it can be worn at all times with relative comfort. The ratings for quietness are reasonable and in general it seems like its meant to be worn more than just in the rain, especially since the pack-ability is not rated very high. To me the downfall is that the thunderhead has a performance cut meaning it is designed for minimal layering. I was able to try on a thunderhead jacket and the sleeves were tight around the forearm.. nice for bow hunting but definitely no giving much room for layering..

That took me to the cloudburst series.. Right off the bat they give it an N/A rating for quietness and 4/5 for pack-ability. The cloudburst is cut with a "standard" fit, which allows for moderate layering. To me the cloudburst is strictly meant for rain/snow events.

Knowing this, the thunderhead still seems like the more economical/reasonable decision because it can be used for multiple occasions, not just rain.. Both options are outfitted with goretex and get 5/5 for water protection. So at this point I am asking for first hand experience with field use of these products.. I'm sure even someone with stormfront series experience could be able to give an opinion also... I guess I am looking to make sure I don't make a mistake purchasing the thunderhead series..

Another scenario I thought about is thunderhead pants with cloudburst jacket to give me room for more layering up top.

Looking at 35 degree average low to 65 degree average high temps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 08:04 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I think you need to get on Archerytalk.com and ask these same questions as there are allot more people on there that use Sitka gear in different states and in different situations ! You will get the answers your looking for ! I have almost all there Whitetail series outfits in Ev II pattern including the Downpoor outfit which is also performance cut so if your going that route get a size bigger for layering ! I will tell you this it is very comfortable and I have never gotten wet in it !

Blend in or go hungry !!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thank you!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page