Merino wool socks vs Alpaca socks - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

Merino wool socks vs Alpaca socks

What does everyone prefer

In my unbiased, unscientific experiment during the last two days I had an opportunity to try both products that I recently received.

I had the most expensive warmest merino sock sold at Bass pro shop for under $ 20 vs heavy weight Alpaca socks at $32 that I bought at a Alpaca farm in Susquehanna county.

Both socks were very comfortable and not itchy. If I had to pick maybe a slight edge to the Alpaca

Warmth : yesterday I wore a thin liner sock with the merino wool socks with 400 grams in my Perfect hunter boots from Cabelas. Temperature was about 25 After about 1 1/2 hrs. My feet started to get cold but I lasted for another hour until it was too dark to shoot.

Today it was a high of 18 degrees and I used the the Alpaca socks and I was advised by the owner of the Alpaca farm not to were a liner sock. Again I lasted about 1 1/2 hours until my feet just started to get cold. I was wearing the same boots.

IMO maybe slightly I give the edge to the Alpaca socks. Maybe physically you get what you pay for.

However, if I was working for Consumer reports the Best Buy would go to the Merino socks.

I also had an opportunity to try my new Christmas gift of Minus 33 expedition weight long johns that cost an arm and a leg. They were very comfortable and not itchy at all. Yesterday with a high of 25 I never did get cold. Today with a high of 18 I got slightly cold But was able to stay on a tree stand until it got too dark to see thru my sights.

So out of all my cold weather long johns I would recommend the Minus 33. They are warmer then my Under armor cold gear and my high end Cabela brand underwear.

I conclude while having several beers and a few fireballs to warm up in this unbearable muzzleloader season while I give you my opinions. Stay warm my friends.

Life Member NRA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 05:26 AM

I used to get cold feet no matter what sock or boot I wore because me feet sweat. Now, the ultimate cure for me was wools socks, stick-on toe warmers and 800gram Rocky boots followed by putting on my boot blankets. I can sit all day and toes stay toasty warm.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ICEBREAKER-BOOT-BLANKET-LARGE/233087201596?epid=1500917160&hash=item364514713c:r k:1f:0#rwid
Best things ever invented!

As far as layers I use what Uncle Sam gave me, whatever silk weight long johns you choose(they are all the same) then ECWCS waffle gear followed by my old fleece jacket and pants and then finally a waterproof camo jacket and bibs. Lightweight and warm
PA predator likes this.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 12:53 PM
The Man

Joe

We need an update in a few months. I'm curious as to how the alpaca wear compared to the wool.

BTW how thick are the alpaca. The same as the wool or thicker?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 01:11 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Alpaca wool socks were the best for keeping my feet warm and dry, but they came apart after a season worth of use. Maybe worn just 12 times and I was wearing thin spots on the pressure points. They were 100% alpaca wool and a loose knit.

That could have just been the weaving process though, I don't know, but they were extremely comfortable to wear. Very soft.

I have many pairs of 60% or higher merino wool socks. My feet will get a little clammy in them now and again, but they dry very quickly and don't hold much odor. Merino is very comfortable to the touch and wears very well.

I have a pair of alpaca boot insoles that are really nice too. They go in my Muck boots to insulate the bottom.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 02:18 PM
The Man

Been wearing Merino wool for 10 years or better.

Was out this morning (14 degrees to start out )with them and my Irish Setter Rutmasters. My feet would have stayed warm as long as wanted to be out there. When the temps REALLY drop, I'll add a thin poly sock liner underneath. Good to go !!

I wear my Merinos at work, too and they take a BEATING. But I'll still probably average 4-5 years out of a pair. I like the Red Wing brand ones best. Columbia, Browning......strong 2nd place.

demokraten saugen
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 04:36 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strut10 View Post
Been wearing Merino wool for 10 years or better.

Was out this morning (14 degrees to start out )with them and my Irish Setter Rutmasters. My feet would have stayed warm as long as wanted to be out there. When the temps REALLY drop, I'll add a thin poly sock liner underneath. Good to go !!

I wear my Merinos at work, too and they take a BEATING. But I'll still probably average 4-5 years out of a pair. I like the Red Wing brand ones best. Columbia, Browning......strong 2nd place.
+1 Carhart has good wool socks also. Irish Setter Elk Tracker or my old Browning felt packs.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stetam View Post
I used to get cold feet no matter what sock or boot I wore because me feet sweat. Now, the ultimate cure for me was wools socks, stick-on toe warmers and 800gram Rocky boots followed by putting on my boot blankets. I can sit all day and toes stay toasty warm.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ICEBREAKER-...;/IMG]f:0#rwid
Best things ever invented!
I don’t want to highjack the thread but Stetam my feet sweat as well and are terrible when it comes to getting cold. I have the same boot blankets as you and my feet would still get cold doing it the way you do. Many years ago David Blanton was talking about his feet and cold weather hunting. He had the same boot blankets as we do and said he would take his boots off and slip a large handwarmer in each boot blanket and just wear socks inside them. I figured it couldn’t hurt to try. I did and I was sold. I can sit dark to dark in any temperature without my feet getting cold. Other body parts give out before my feet. It’s helped me tremendously during late season to spend more time on stand. Just thought I’d share in case anybody else needed something different to try.
OAWC likes this.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 06:02 PM
Frequent Contributor

I'm also curious about how the Alpaca socks hold up.

I've been wearing these for about a dozen years now and haven't had to replace any yet. They are 78% merino wool and keep my feet nice and warm sitting on stand all day or wearing them at work.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/clot...0.uts?slotId=1

I just come here to sample the WHINE!!

4C,5B,5C
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 08:15 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMthunter View Post

I've been wearing these for about a dozen years now and haven't had to replace any yet. They are 78% merino wool and keep my feet nice and warm sitting on stand all day or wearing them at work.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/clot...0.uts?slotId=1

I have the same socks and they are holding up great.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogface View Post
Joe

We need an update in a few months. I'm curious as to how the alpaca wear compared to the wool.

BTW how thick are the alpaca. The same as the wool or thicker?
Frank. The Alpaca are a little thicker.

Life Member NRA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page