Need input please - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Need input please

For all the guys out there who have bought the maps for their gps or cell phones, I am trying to decide on on-x hunting map or Garmin hunt view ? One shows land owners boundaries other shows a birdseye view. I am really hoping a few of you out there have experience with these topos.

You're the same dumb pilgrim that I been hearin' for twenty days, and smellin' for three!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 11:39 AM
Part of the Community

I've purchased the X-Maps for a Garmin 64st a few years ago. I have had no bad experiences with X-Maps. Garmin provides you with software to load and view the X-Maps on a computer. The same software has an add on that permits you to download sections of Birdseye images directly onto your GPS. The add on is free for 1 year when I bought the GPS, but it was $9.99 per year after that. The map then overlays the Birdseye view. I've found this very helpful. It does consume a considerable amount of space on your device so in my case, I only download the areas which I frequent.

You do not lose the Birdseye downloads on your device after your subscription expires however you will lose the ability to add any future Birdseye additions to your device

Best of luck
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 11:54 AM
New Arrival

Before you spend money on anything, take a look at the HuntStand app. It's free!
Id bet it does about 95% of what the paid apps do.
It works great too!
JMackanick likes this.

Putting lots of holes in a target with my BowTech.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Bad Andy , I have the huntstand app but I hunt up at camp and I have no cell service in the entire area for miles and miles. I needed something handheld like the gps, and the gps was on sale for cyber Monday, no brainer. but yes the hunt stand app is useful for the most part.
BadAndy likes this.

You're the same dumb pilgrim that I been hearin' for twenty days, and smellin' for three!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 02:51 PM
Frequent Contributor

On x is what I use. I seldom have service when I hunt. You can download the maps to your phone and use the "offline" map to plot your location and track your movement. I dont know how it does it, but it tracks your movement and is very precise in showing your location on the map even when offline. It's magic I think.

Anyway, to each their own I guess, but OnX is my pick.

Previously JJ5C
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 02:53 PM
Sage

I installed the free on X and I was continuously bugged by up grade messages. Not only that it kept using up my batter y even when I did not have it opened. I deleted it in the middle of my elk hunt.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 03:08 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I use a mix of mapping tech. I am a PA OnX Subscriber and I am considering getting the whole country. I love it. I also use Scoutlooks "Scentcone" all the time, along with google earth. OnX is a game changer for me for multiple reasons.

Spilled blood on our hands fuels reverence for our quarry.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

So the consensus seems to be on-x with landowner boundaries over Garmin hunt view ?

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 08:41 PM

If by "birds eye view" you mean satellite aerial images, On X has that.

I use On X and I'm happy with it. Certainly a game changer. I use the phone app, but you can use it on your computer also. It syncs all of your markings and data no matter if you're on your phone or computer. You can save maps on your phone so that you can use it when you don't have any service. You can also get On X chips for your GPS unit. My only complaint is that rarely the phone app gets a little "glitchy" and will not display the property owner info. Usually if you close it and reopen it solves the problem, but besides that I love it.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ4D View Post
On x is what I use. I seldom have service when I hunt. You can download the maps to your phone and use the "offline" map to plot your location and track your movement. I dont know how it does it, but it tracks your movement and is very precise in showing your location on the map even when offline. It's magic I think.

Anyway, to each their own I guess, but OnX is my pick.
It works because the GPS on your phone still works regardless of whether you have service or not.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page