Suggestions for cold weather waterproof clothing - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Suggestions for cold weather waterproof clothing

This past bear season we had wet snow conditions for the entire season. I was trapping also, and everyday I had to abort my hunt do to fact I was miserable from getting soaked from the wet snow and the cold conditions. My stuff is all old Goretex and Cabelas DryPlus stuff and Im ready for an upgrade. I like wearing bibs and of course I would need a coat also. Im looking for something that can take an all day hosing, not just something with a thin membrane.

I always took a set of Frogtogs with me moose hunting, but they were just slip over stuff that offered no warmth. Any have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 01:33 PM
The Man

I'm in the same boat. All of my goretex stuff is old and no longer keeps the water at bay. I will read this thread with interest.
Potter Co. Joe likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 01:49 PM
dce

Hopefully your heart's not set on getting more Cabela's clothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 02:01 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

The Frog Toggs Iv'e looked at seem noisy to me to me. I have a Artic Shied rain outfit but have not used yet. Have Browning gear that seems to work well. Will find out Monday how good it all is.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 02:05 PM

Location: Live in Venango County. Hunting Camp in Warren County
Quote:
Originally Posted by kudu58 View Post
I will read this thread with interest.
Yeah me to. Long ago gave up on goretex jackets and so called waterproof goretex lace up boots. They never were really water proof, more like water resistant and that only when fairly new. I wear tight weave felted wool coat, socks, vest, shirt, and pants and a broad brim hat. I still get wet if its a steady rain but it takes hours and then I just go change into dry stuff and start again. If its just wet snow I'll be dry enough all day. The down side is wool is heavy and gets no better when it gets wet. The up side is wet wool still retains most of its insulation value.
Asajoe1 and Potter Co. Joe like this.

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

"When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it."
an old First Nations saying
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger300 View Post
The Frog Toggs Iv'e looked at seem noisy to me to me. I have a Artic Shied rain outfit but have not used yet. Have Browning gear that seems to work well. Will find out Monday how good it all is.
Frog Toggs are kinda crinkly.....they were great while glassing or on the Argo, but would have to come off when trying to slip in on a spotted moose. Bike folks like them, as they roll up well and fit in saddlebags easily.
jimbridger likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 06:26 PM
Frequent Contributor

https://www.gore-tex.com/blog/restor...lency-raingear

. If you feel your goretex gear is spent perhaps consider reviving the dwr. In had on goretex pants and.jacket today and.stayed dry. Goretex is not insulation. I layer. The bad thing about investing in quality rain gear is when it rains you feel compelled to hunt in it. Lousy rifle opener today
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 08:40 AM
Part of the Community

Rivers West

I have been wearing Rivers West gear for 12 yrs. Still dry and warm. Several different styles (heavy, medium,light) weights to choose from.
superd likes this.

goosetracker

We all live under the same sky, but we don't all see the same horizon
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 08:48 AM

Although very pricey Sitka Downpour is hard to beat. It’s quiet and waterproof. In AK It rained for seven days straight. I never felt damp or wet. Only had jacket. Waders on for pants. I like the fact that with the hood up I didn’t feel like hard rain was beating on a metal roof around my head.
Ole' Raspy likes this.

Didn't vote for the husband. Not voting for the wife. #Liars

Last edited by chester farmer; 12-29-2018 at 08:50 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 08:51 AM

i got a real nice rain suit from the boot box in meadville. its camo and made by scent blocker....cost $50.00 for the set.

i didnt want to wear camo during rifle season but my wife who happens to be smarter than me suggested i wear it under my orange bibs and coat. i came home high and dry everytime i did that. BUT.....do not plan on walking around to much as that stuff really blocks wind and you will get over heated and sweaty. if stand hunting is whats planned this will work great for an all day sit.

i dont own any waterproof hunting clothes.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page