The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Suggestions for cold weather waterproof clothing

3K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  hightine 
#1 ·
This past bear season we had wet snow conditions for the entire season. I was trapping also, and everyday I had to abort my hunt do to fact I was miserable from getting soaked from the wet snow and the cold conditions. My stuff is all old Goretex and Cabelas DryPlus stuff and I’m ready for an upgrade. I like wearing bibs and of course I would need a coat also. I’m looking for something that can take an all day hosing, not just something with a thin membrane.

I always took a set of Frogtogs with me moose hunting, but they were just slip over stuff that offered no warmth. Any have any suggestions?

#5 ·
I will read this thread with interest.
Yeah me to. Long ago gave up on goretex jackets and so called waterproof goretex lace up boots. They never were really water proof, more like water resistant and that only when fairly new. I wear tight weave felted wool coat, socks, vest, shirt, and pants and a broad brim hat. I still get wet if its a steady rain but it takes hours and then I just go change into dry stuff and start again. If its just wet snow I'll be dry enough all day. The down side is wool is heavy and gets no better when it gets wet. The up side is wet wool still retains most of its insulation value.

#10 ·
i got a real nice rain suit from the boot box in meadville. its camo and made by scent blocker....cost $50.00 for the set.

i didnt want to wear camo during rifle season but my wife who happens to be smarter than me suggested i wear it under my orange bibs and coat. i came home high and dry everytime i did that. BUT.....do not plan on walking around to much as that stuff really blocks wind and you will get over heated and sweaty. if stand hunting is whats planned this will work great for an all day sit.

i dont own any waterproof hunting clothes.

#12 ·
I bought a XL and XXL set of badlands rain gear from Sierra trading post 2 years ago. Would have ended up about $1000, wouldn’t have paid that, but got them for $200. The XL are for warmer weather, XXL are to do over my coveralls. I wear my base layers and rain gear in, take off rain gear, put on coveralls then rain gear back on. It’s a painful process no doubt but I stay dry.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.