2 Way Radios - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 06:09 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftyshad View Post
What kinda range are you getting in what type of terrain/cover? I'm really hoping to find something that can legitimately get 2-3 miles in PA woods.
I normally hunt with a friend on the same general mountain so we are not two mountains apart where one could be blocking the capability. We are both 3/4 of the way up a ridge about a mile apart.
bohunr and Shiftyshad like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 04:21 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have Midland radios, Last pair, I spent a few bucks extra got the better ones. Only use them at camp cause we use phones at home. Just remember to take them out of your coat before you wash them.
bohunr likes this.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 04:45 PM

Range depends entirely on the terrain. My friend and I have been lass than 1/2 mile apart but around the point of the mountain and can't talk to each other. Several times we call someone who is up higher and they will relay a message. Same radios in Colorado or over water have great range. The camp I hunt at has gone almost entirely to cell phones.
bohunr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 10:48 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If there is foliage on the trees you get much reduced range... I use the old Motorola 250 and 280 models... No leaves on the trees I can get 6 miles reception... Leaves on the trees and 1-2 at most...I found the newer Motorola models are not as good as the old ones...
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:25 AM

Our coyote hunting group switched over to marine band radios. Big difference in range
bohunr and Dogface like this.

Never Misses
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 10:20 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by beagler View Post
Our coyote hunting group switched over to marine band radios. Big difference in range
I guess this is pretty common? Just curious as I had been tempted to use marine band but the (slim?) chance of the 10K FCC fine was a deterrent. I was able to find a couple of cases where hunters were busted.

The lower FM frequencies used in the marine band do penetrate foliage better than the higher frequencies used by FRS\GMRS radios plus have the benefit of higher wattage. MURS is a legal lower FM frequency option, but I can't find any "weatherproof" options to purchase.
HAM is a lower FM option, but none of my hunting buddies have a HAM license.
We just use the Midland "extra talk GTX" on the higher power GMRS only channels, but on longer drives in rugged terrain the signal can be hit or miss. At least it works (slightly) better than the lower power FRS channels. I also put a mobile GMRS in my truck during hunting season and it reaches out a bit farther with the better antenna on the roof (or of you need a base station at camp).
FCC changed the rules a year or two ago and you now do not need to pay $ and get a license to use the GMRS channels on these and similar wally-world bubble pack radios (if you ever bothered to read the fine print on the last page of the instruction book LOL).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page