Waterproof digital cameras - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Waterproof digital cameras

Really want to get a small waterproof digital for in the field and day to day use. I have a digital camera but it's too big to slip in my pocket and take on stand.

Any recommendations?? I'm eyeballing the Olympus Tough 8000. Waterproof, shockproof, freeze proof (whatever that means)and would fit in my pocket.

I see canon, sony, and some others are out there too. anyone have experience with any of them good or bad??
Thx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 04:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Waterproof digital cameras

I have a Pentax Optio W20 that takes awesome pictures, both underwater and above water. Very small, compact, and a reasonable price. I would recommend it to anyone.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 04:39 PM
The Man

not too many small digital cameras that are waterproof, I know as you stated olympus makes them, but I have no experience with them..good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 04:41 PM
Part of the Community

the Olympus is really great. I have seen many pics from one underwater and they were great. Should work even better above land.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 04:45 PM
Part of the Community

I'll second the Pentax W20. Use mine to take pictures of fish and stream side insects. I've got pictures of fish under water as I bring them in. The macro mode works great. Even use it for pictures of flies I tie.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 06:15 PM

I have a Fuji WP - not sure of the model number - but is it small enough for a shirt pocket and takes pretty good pictures. I bought mine at BJ's Warehouse this spring for about $170 - also claimed to somewhat shock proof and dirt proof.

Look them up on Ebay or Google, you should be able to find them. Overall, I like mine.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Gonna look into the Pentax and Fuji too being the Olympus is the highest price. Thx All The macro option would be nice for tiny close ups of aquatic bugs.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 04:03 PM
TEE

I have the olympus stylus 1030sw. I picked it up when Circuit CIty was going out of business. It is 10.1 megapixel, waterproof to 33 ft, shockproof for 6.6 ft, crsuhproof up to 220 lbs, and is good to 14 degrees F. I also got the floatable leash strap so I can take it with when I am out on the kayak or canoe.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 04:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'll throw another vote in for the Olympus. I bought the 8000 a few months ago and have been very satisfied with it.
The only gripe I have with it is that when you use the digital zoom on far away subjects the picture looks blurry after you take it in the LCD display, but when you upload it to your computer it looks fine. I deleted a bunch of pics on the spot thinking they didn't come out clear but the ones I left on and looked at later were crystal clear. Now I snap away and with an 8GB card in it I can take over 3000 5MB pics which is where I leave it set at.
You will not be disappointed in the 8000.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 04:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

All of my pics have been on dry land but some in bad weather like rain and snow and it is great not having to worry about the camera. Plus they are easy to carry in a shirt pocket and you don't have to worry about perspiration. I havn't taken any pics under water yet but
here's some with the Olympus8000 my buddy has. They were taken on opening day of trout season last April.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page