Hunting boots - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Hunting boots

Tired of boots that leak, don't perform up to par. Just received a pair of Lacrosse pac boots, 2000 gr insulation. Put them on for first time today, felt good, lightweight, all was looking good until I stepped into a puddle of water, toes got wet, cold. Not happy, they're going back to store Monday am.

I'm looking for a good solid pac boot 1200 gram insulation or more and hopefully 100 % waterproof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 09:17 PM

I'm a fan of the true goretex waterproofing. Some of the knockoff stuff is hit or miss I think, but I've always had luck with the real goretex.
Born2Hunt likes this.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 09:33 PM
Frequent Contributor

I wouldn't even look at any boots that aren't Goretex…. NO matter what the claim is from the off brand. I'm hooked on Danner boots now. Cost a little more, but they really fit my feet well and hold up for years. Pronghorn are my favorite model. I have uninsulated, 400 and 800 gram models.

Work is for people who don't hunt!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 08:30 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have never found a leather boot to be consistently waterproof even though I treat them with silicone and Nikwax. I wear leather because it is comfortable, not because it is waterproof.

I walk my dog in woods every day. To keep my feet dry, I got rubber boots. They don't have support of leather but I know my feet will be dry. There are a lot of models with different amounts of insulation. The rubber boots may be just what you are looking for.

Since you were looking for an insulated pac boot, I figure you wanted something warm too. I have electric socks which will really help when sitting on stand in cold. The chemical pack toe warmers are good to. They are not comfortable if you do a lot of walking though.

Recently, I bought a pair of rubber overshoes. They sell them at Tractor Supply. I put them over a pair of old hiking boots. That gave me the best of both worlds. The leather boot has comfortable support and the rubber overshoe provides the water protection. I never have to take the rubber overshoe off to clean and dress the leather. Works great for me although I only wear them for short walks in rain.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 09:00 AM
Frequent Contributor

i have a pair of under armour brow tines that are 5 years old and my feet have never gotten wet walking through creeks . they are gore-tex but they are only 800gr. they stopped making 1200gr.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 10:26 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Kenetrek or Schnees may be what your looking for.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 10:36 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGGAME View Post
Kenetrek or Schnees may be what your looking for.

Ah, the Unknown Hunter posts again. Sorry man, your avatar just cracks me up. Anybody remember the Unknown Comic, wore a paper bag over his head?
bohunr and huntr4477 like this.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunterjac View Post
I wouldn't even look at any boots that aren't Goretex…. NO matter what the claim is from the off brand. I'm hooked on Danner boots now. Cost a little more, but they really fit my feet well and hold up for years. Pronghorn are my favorite model. I have uninsulated, 400 and 800 gram models.
I have pronghorns in 800 and 1200 and wouldn't consider anything else. They are the only boots that I have found that work with me allow me to walk and also post up and keep my toes warm no matter what I step in along the way. I have ~6-7 years on my 2 pairs.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks for feedback. I'm looking at Irish setter 860 elk, 1000gr boots, with gortex. Gotten some great reviews
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 02:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I like Danners myself. If it doesn't say gortex it's probably going to leak!

I see said the Blind Carpenter to his Deaf Helper as he picked up his Hammer and Saw!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page