elk backpacking gear - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

elk backpacking gear

I'm looking for clothes that could be worn on a backpacking trip in elk country. I'm hunting in mid October so temps should be in the 30s at night time and 50s during the day. I'm anticipating doing a great deal of walking. I'm new to this so any advice would be appreciated. I'm not set on a budget right now so if you give me a cheap and expensive option or even a low middle and high price range I would appreciate it. Specific brands are encouraged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 11:06 PM

Polyester pants, lot of good options. Sitka, First Lite, Prana.

Good merino socks and merino or poly boxers.

Lightweight merino t-shirt or quarter zip. I like First Lite aerowool best.

Midweight fleece or puffy jacket. Sitka Kelvin Lite is my go to.

Packable quiet rain shell. I like Cabelas space rain.

Definitely don't skimp on boots especially at the expense of clothes. Get a pair of gaiters too.

Camo doesn't mean much with elk they aren't too visually wary.

Stuff is most expensive this time of year. Good sales around the holidays and then inventory close out in winter.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 09:51 PM
New Arrival

Backpacking and elk hunting means lite weight, dry and warm. You don't want to skimp on clothing quality as your life may depend on it at 10k feet in the fall. Look at Sitka and First Lite. Yes it's expensive but well worth the money when all you have to protect you from the elements is a thin sheet of nylon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 04:30 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Zippered pile hoodie with pockets. Great if you can afford an extra piece of gear for camp or if works into your layered daily wear.
Check out Sherpa brand on sale at places like campsaver or moosejaw. More of a climbing brand.
Just did a 100 mile self support kayak trip in Idaho and mine reluctantly made my gear list as I hadn't used it much; best piece of gear I brought.
The fit is slim, but that ended up being a bonus as it was not bulky under a shell. The long back covers your butt. The hood without drawstrings ended up staying in place nicely over a ball cap or when sleeping in it. Hoodie was more comfortable than just wearing a warm hat to bed or around camp as the hoodie also covers your neck (and I only needed to bring one ballcap). The cut and seams are made to be worn while shouldering a pack.
https://www.campsaver.com/sherpa-pem...ket-men-s.html
https://www.campsaver.com/sherpa-dawa-hoodie-men-s.html
https://www.moosejaw.com/product/she...oodie_10326640
https://www.moosejaw.com/product/she...oodie_10364123
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 05:23 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

and besides your normal rain gear bring a sil nylon pack cover or poncho that will cover the pack when hiking in the rain or covering your pack at camp
Equinox LTD - Backpacks + Pack Covers
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 06:04 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Advice on boots is spot on. You need to have that settled SOON, and then hike the snot out of them between now and the hunt. The last thing you want is stiff or otherwise not serviceable boots when you're far from the civilized world.

Put at least 15-20 miles on them, and use your pack, too, with weight. Get that stuff sorted out early and train with it. It'll pay dividends in the mountains.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 10:25 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

As a follow up if you are asking about cloths remember cloths are not the majority of your weight:
Tent\tarp, sleeping bag, back pack are the big 3 for reducing weight along with all the other reductions from using UL backpacker gear.

Ditto tdd; any footwear I take on trips are the boots I have worn for work or are my usual around the farm\hunting\hiking boots. Don't buy a new pair of boots for a trip, but if you do they should be at least be at least gently used by trip time. A good coat of Sno-Seal on a broken-in pair of boots in good condition with a new pair of laces is my ticket and will usually last 10 more days....
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 10:49 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

And not sure where you are hunting but mid-30s to mid-50s seems like a pretty narrow temp window; I was just in the sawtooths 1 1/2 weeks ago and we had a couple of nights in the high 20's with daytime temp 60-75 degrees. I'd plan on being colder at night and hotter during the day depending on where you are in elk country. I have been snowed on every month of the year when working in Colorado but been in a T-shirt the next day for example. There can be a HUGE difference in temps between the nearest town where you are getting an average temp from as compared to where you are actually camping\hunting at a higher elevation.
tdd likes this.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 08:29 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowns View Post
And not sure where you are hunting but mid-30s to mid-50s seems like a pretty narrow temp window; I was just in the sawtooths 1 1/2 weeks ago and we had a couple of nights in the high 20's with daytime temp 60-75 degrees. I'd plan on being colder at night and hotter during the day depending on where you are in elk country. I have been snowed on every month of the year when working in Colorado but been in a T-shirt the next day for example. There can be a HUGE difference in temps between the nearest town where you are getting an average temp from as compared to where you are actually camping\hunting at a higher elevation.
I agree and have been hunting the Salmon zone for years. I spend 3-4 weeks there in October. Two years ago the daylight temps at camp (5500 feet) were mid 20's, and by 1300 hrs it was 70 where I was hunting (7000-9000 feet). You have to be prepared for everything, you are a long ways from home and it is better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Good luck hunting, and buy a wolf tag.

Don't Gobble at me...
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 08:35 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

Colorado Flattops last year....step off from the truck at the trail head and it was I think around 20 degrees and windy.

9am it was sunny and about 25.

10am it was a whiteout blizzard around 28-30.

2pm it was sunny and 50.

Next morning it was about 15 in the morning. Mid-50's when I was packing out quarters at noon.

It's also important to note that temps are NOT as keenly perceived in the super low humidity in the Rockies. I walked from my cabin to the bath house to hit the head in the middle of the night one night. It was in the teens that night. I was wearing a sweatshirt, some athletic shorts, and flip flops. I took a few moments to enjoy the night sky free of light pollution (the camp shut down their generator at 9pm, so there was NO light in the area, which was AWESOME). I started feeling the cold after a minute or so, but imagine being outside in those temps in a sweatshirt and shorts in PA.

You're going to be pretty active hunting elk, so you'll need to gear up and dress differently than you do here.

Last edited by tdd; 07-18-2018 at 08:38 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page