Priming tool suggestions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Priming tool suggestions

After 30 years my RCBS hand primer broke and I need a replacement. Looking at the priming tools on line and reading the reviews has me scratching my head so I need a vector to a reliable replacement.

I would like one that has an auto feed for primers as the one I had required me to place a single primer in the primer cup for each case.

I would also like to avoid a priming tool that requires purchasing a special set of shell holders.

Suggestions please.

Thought about buying a new press with a priming feature (Lyman Brass Smith All American) to replace the old RCBS Rock Chucker.......

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 03:59 PM
The Man

I've used a Lee for a number of years. It always works but it isn't something that gets used frequently.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 05:19 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Last year I bought a Frankford Perfect to try
The good, adjustable primer seating depth, two, installing/swapping shellholder or changing to small-large primers is quick and easy and three, it comes with a set of shellholders and a nice padded case.

The bad, its tad on the bulky side and the spring is a bit stiff. Two, you can't single feed-seat without the tray installed otherwise the primers try to exit the tray slot.

Two mods I made, one I replaced the original spring with lighter one and two, I came up with a quick, dirty, cheap and non permanent way to switch using the tray to single hand feeding -seating primers.

Price? 'bout 60 bucks+ ship. https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/71835

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks folks - good info!!

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 09:03 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

I use a Lyman and like it. It uses standard shell holders. I had a Lee, and you need to buy Lee's primer tool shell holders. They aren't pricey, but they're tool-specific.

RCBS uses a universal jaw system. No shell holders required.

I like my Lyman, and it works well. I would have gotten the RCBS if was it available locally when I needed one, lol.

Both would serve you well, and aren't bank-breakers.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 09:07 PM

I have used the RCBS hand primer for the last 15 years with no issue. I have the one with the attached primer tray(not the one that uses strips). It uses shell holders, but they also make one that's universal for a bit more money.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 04:59 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I use the rcbs that takes primer tubes, mounted on my reloading bench. you insert the case and pull the lever down to prime and on the up swing it puts a new primer in the primer arm and repeat.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 11:58 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Take a look at the Forster before you decide. It is a bit inconvenient in that it must be adjusted for differences in cartridge head dimensions but, once adjusted, can crank out a lot of primers and without ever touching a primer with your fingers. Another point in its favor is that it is super heavy-duty. I can't imagine it wearing out in several lifetimes.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 12:58 PM

I have had a primer drop tube for my RCBS Rock Chucker which I have never used and a used RCBS hand primer used very sparingly. However, after reading your post I am going to install the primer tube on the press. I just never got into the hand primer that much although RCBS did send me some free replacement parts for the unit a few months ago as per my request.

Let us know what you choose and how well you like.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Hunt View Post
I have had a primer drop tube for my RCBS Rock Chucker which I have never used and a used RCBS hand primer used very sparingly. However, after reading your post I am going to install the primer tube on the press. I just never got into the hand primer that much although RCBS did send me some free replacement parts for the unit a few months ago as per my request.

Let us know what you choose and how well you like.

Decided on the RCBS 90201. So far it's a great example of over engineering a simple tool into a diabolically inspired nightmare of unnecessary complicated &%$$#(.

Oh, and while I am at it let me say a word about the instructions for how to put this thing together. Nahha, this is a family site so I will old my words.

in closing let me say that the designers of this thing could screw up an eraser.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page