leather boot waterproofing? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

leather boot waterproofing?

I have a pair of columbia hiking boots that finaly fit after many years of having "fat feet"..they are actually quite comfy now and the vibram soles are in great shape. i want to treat the leather before we get real nasty around here.
In the past, my dad and I used to be religious about using sno-seal. I remember my dad baking the snow seal into his boots every year he'd put at least two coats on them. I recently saw these boots - they are now over 22 years old (Honest...I need to get a pic of them for you guys - they are in PERFECT shape)

I was wondering if there is anything that can compete with sno-seal or if it's still the cat's meow? I'm short a bunch of bear fat...and whale blubber...so I'm pretty certain I'll need something man-made at this point

edit...just a bit more info. the boots I have are Columbia Diablo Pass Titanium - got them for some website work I did for http://www.circlelg.com way back in the day - nice group of people out there and I worked off a bit of gear with them.

the leather has been in better condition, the toes are a little frayed and starting to dry - so something that will condition the leather, not clog it, and allow the still functioning but many years old gore-tex still do it's job is paramount?

Sno-seals website says mink oil will clock the leather. Kiwi says bees wax will clog the leather...what's a guy to do?

Feral Cats are God's version of Ballistic Gelatin. - anonymous from another forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 10:18 AM
The Man

Re: leather boot waterproofing?

I still use sno-seal and love it....
Here's a post a few pages back..
Click on
https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbt...427994&fpart=1
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 11:03 AM

I use it for boots and the flintlock covers I make for nasty weather. It is as good as rubber once the leather is saturated with it. Here's a pic of the flintlock covers I make. If your interested in one drop me a privite message.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks Hern - i'm off to get a tub today over lunch. my boots really need it...they look thirsty.

Mossie...Neat! Never thought of something like that...necessity IS the mother of invention and with the weather here in PA i can't imagine what it's like to try to keep a frizzen dry

Feral Cats are God's version of Ballistic Gelatin. - anonymous from another forum
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 04:38 PM

many yrs ago i used mink oil on my herman boots(they were good boots back then) i thought the silicon in sno-seal would clog the leather. i had those boots for 15 yrs before i had to retire them. i wore them daily in HS in the winter then on jobsites as well as hunting after school and the service.

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

my boots were THIRSTY. they are darker now...but water PROOF. to 50 fathoms below the sea LOL...Sno-Seal ROCKS. my wife is still looking for her old toothbrush...

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 01:09 PM

warm the boots, then add the snowseal, and if need be break out the old ladys hair dryer you will be able to watch it soak right into the leather

Friends don't let friends buy inlines
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 12:42 AM
New Arrival

I too have been fan of SnoSeal, but I get what I think to be better results from Obenauf dressing.
It is sold by Russell Moccasin; I don't know who else.
I discovered it through a purchase of boots from Russell.
Link to Russell page is:
http://russellmoccasin.com/dressings...rpreserve.html

GOD is great
Beer is good
Money is short
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 10:38 AM
Sage

Another nod for SnoSeal!!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page