Walkers Game Ear - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Walkers Game Ear

Anybody have any experience with or use them? I have contemplated getting one for probably 15 years or more.

I don't have any problems hearing, in fact I'd bet my hearing is above average. What I am asking is would someone without hearing difficulty still consider it a usefull tool. I've often wondered if it amplifies the background noises in the woods to the point that it would drive me nuts (tree rats, chippies, birds, etc). That's the biggest reason I don't own one now. But tonight the woods were soooo quiet and when it's like that I think the game ear may come in handy.

Apprieciate any input. If they are "all that" even for someone who has no problems hearing I may have to buck up and get me one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 01:48 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Walkers Game Ear

I'm only 17 and i got a pair... Their not the most comfortable things I don't think, but no way in hadies am i gona spend $1,200+ on those sport ears. They work OK in my mind,,a little breezy and you got the static stuff from the breeze going over the sound-picker uper thing (sorry i forget what it's call right now) They are not the kind of ear's that you wanta walk into the woods with, to bulky... They do work good at picking up stuff (like sticks breaking and leaves crunching).... but DON'T EVER only use one ear... You will go nuts trying to figure out where the sounds coming from... The only time that I use them are when I'm sitting, and in rifle season.

It's called SHOT PLACEMENT not a bigger caliber
Greed is a nasty thing
Save Western Wildlife Member
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 01:59 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I bought mine 4 years ago and I tried it a couple of times through the years. I nevre really cared for it that much. It annoyed me to no end to hear leaves crunching and limbs breaking but not being able to tell where the sound was coming from.

This year I used it quite a bit during archery. It did help when the leaves were a little dry and I could see a hundred yards. It gave me time to prepare for the shot. But like I said, it drove me nuts.

Some reason the stupid thing humms too. I really wish I didn't spend the money on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Animalslayer.....are you talking about the Walker Game Ear? The device I'm talking about is only the size of a hearing aid.

Spur....So they do pick up enough back ground noise to drive ya nuts? lol That kinda answers my question. Is it easy to turn the thing off and on while in your ear? Like when the tree rats and chippies are out gathering food, then maybe turn it on during the last hour or so of day light when things get quiet? Regardless, from what you've said I may be better off spending my money on something else as long as I can still hear good.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 04:51 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

It is very easy to turn down and up. I don't have the best hearing, but if you are well hidden, you'll hear the deer when they're close enough anyways; so there really isn't any need for it.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 11:42 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

They are a bit tough to get used too. Almost impossible to use w/ windy conditions or heavy vehicular traffic. After a few tries, you can tell the difference between tree rats and deer walking. There is a very big difference in the patterns and noise levels. This year, it was very quiet and heard a branch break several hundred yards away. Looked in that direction, and shortly saw a hunter coming towards me. Then heard alot of noise ahead of me, and saw that he had kicked up 2 deer, that were running for the border. Heard them long before I saw them. Like I said, takes a few tries to get used to them, and you should get one for each ear. Volume controls on each, make it easy to tune some noises out.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 12:20 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

There was another post on HPA that stated it was not legal to use a device such as the "Walkers Game Ear" while you hunt.

However, on page 9 under the General Hunting Regulations of the Digest it states: 4) Electronic sound amplification devices that are incorporated into hearing protection devices and completely contained in or on the hunter’s
ear may be used to hunt or take wildlife.

So....it appears the other post that I read was incorrect, and it appears that you can use these High-Fangled (and high priced) ear protection devices.

It would make sense to be allowed to use 'em. I mean, just because you can hear a herd of deer 75 yards away, doesn't mean they are going to come into shooting range. And, hearing protection seems to be a bit more important than the ability to hear the approach "more sooner" of a few more game animals.

Dave

“Nothing external to you has any power over you.” -Emerson

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 02:22 AM

Jock, I like'em. Been using only one with an ear plug in the opposite ear. I don't wear it to hear better, even though you can. I wear it to protect my hearing first and still be able to hear second. I actually find its better not to have it turned up too high (amplified hearing). I will say in windy conditions I turn it down a little more, because it is too noisy, but it's not that often. If you only wear one like I do, sometimes sound direction can be tricky.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 03:26 AM
Frequent Contributor

Oh you're asking bout the wee little ultra ear ones? oh i was talking about the behind the ear ones, my bad.

It's called SHOT PLACEMENT not a bigger caliber
Greed is a nasty thing
Save Western Wildlife Member
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 11:31 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

My suggestion would be, go to the local hearing aide store and check into a pair of Starkey in the ear stereo hearing aides. They are made for hunting and are custom molded to "your" ears and are very comfortable. They run a bout $900.00 a pair.

Scentblocker Advisory Member
Birchwood Casey Advisory Member
Wild Ear Advisory Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page