Wicked hand pruner review - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By simoncool

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Wicked hand pruner review

I wanted to take the time to post my experience using the Wicked hand pruners. I used these for two days trimming out brush, and use on my hunting property. I own, and use the small Wicked folding saw. I love it, but have a much different opinion on their pruners. I must add that I have always used Florian ratchet pruners. Love them, but decided to try a pair of the Wicked hand pruners.
PROS:
-Very sharp
-Handle ergonomics are decent.
-Seem to be made of decent materials.
CONS:
-Non-ratcheting-lack of compound mechanism.
-Quickly causes hand fatique during heavy use.
BIG ISSUE:
-The geared nut holding the pliers together uses a small toothed locking mechanism. That little toothed lock is held in place by a small shoulder style screw. It is NOT held tight. What happens is the locking toothed nut will back off, and cause the pruner pieces to move. If you tighten the ntoothed nut it can cause the pruners to be harder to work, or too loose. I had to add a lock washer, and small flat washer to keep the toothed nut retainer/lock from allowing the main nut to loosen.
OVER ALL IMPRESSIONS:
-Although these pruners are made of decent materials, and sharp I do not like them. My advice is to save your money, and get a better ratcheting pruner. The pruner I usually use made by Florian is a much better product that has proven itself over years of use. In the end I actually regret even buying the Wicked hand pruners. I will go as far to say that I will only use them as a back up pair of pruners for basic yard work. During my use of them I actually became very frustrated by the main nut backing off over, and over. I had to constantly snug the nut up, and had to make modifications by adding the lock washer, and washer to keep the locking mechanism in place so the main nut didn't back of. I will end by saying I am HIGHLY dis-satisfied with them, bt love their folding saws.
If you are looking for a pair of light weight ratchet pruners for your hunting bag--get yourself a pair of the Florians. I have had a pair for years, and they hold up well, and cut like a knife through butter without causing severe hand fatigue during heavy use. If I would not have had to pay for the Wicked pruners--during my use of them I became so frustrated with the mechanism loosening that I almost through them down through the woods.
If I had it to do all over again--I should have never purchased the Wicked hand pruners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 10:56 AM

thanks for sharing and for the infomation
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 12:03 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

EZ KUT are better than Florians much heavier duty.Those two and a pair of Gerbers are all I have I thought the Florians were good till I got the Ez Kut.I have had to return Florians they replaced them no questions haven't had to return my EZ Kuts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I absolutely love both the EZ Cut, and the Florian ratchet hand pruners. The big reason I like the Florians is the weight when I put them in a fanny, or regular pack when in the woods. I have never had any issues with the Florians. At first I worried about the actual material the pruner body/handles is made of. No worries as I have never broken them. The EZ Cuts being metal are truly awesome ratchet pruners also. They are made very well, and both manufacturers offer a life time warranty.
Again the only reason I prefer the Florians is the weight. I honestly believe one can't go wrong with either name brand.

Last edited by curverbowruss; 04-15-2018 at 12:46 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 09:14 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Contact the company, they may refund your money or at least allow you to trade the pruners for credit to buy another of their products that you like. It's worth a try.
curverbowruss likes this.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I've given some thought to contacting them. I much prefer the ratcheting style hand pruner over these any day when it comes to pruners. However after I adjusted the tension of the large nut, and locked it down by placing a washer, and lock washer under the little shoulder screw that locks the little gear lock tab I actually will use them for yard work. They are pretty well made for what they are other than the issue I mentioned. I cannot say they are horrible quality. I just feel that there are better made pruners for the money. One of my problems is the fact that I have Arthritis in my right hand, and compound/ratcheting pruners are far better for my needs, but I got spoiled by the Florian, and EZ cut pruners. If you ever have the chance to try the EZ cut, or Florian ratcheting pruners by really cutting some serious stuff in the woods, and then swictch to non ratcheting pruners you will quickly notice there is a absolute huge difference in hand fatigue, and cutting ability. You most likely will never want another style hand pruner if you try EZ cuts, or Florians.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 09:39 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have to second EZ Kut pruners and their entire line. They are second to none. I've used them from everything to trimming shooting lanes, trimming fence lines and gardening around the house. Check out the videos on their facebook page of what those pruners can do, even up to trimming an inch in diameter branch with ease. Also, they have a no bull lifetime guarantee that they stand behind. If you ever get to a trade show, they go to the outdoor show in Harrisburg, stop by and talk to these guys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page