Enjoyed them the most Pa Game News Hints - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Enjoyed them the most Pa Game News Hints

I often reflect back to the days when I use to read all the Pa Game News as a kid... They use to have a section kind of like the old Mark Trail that gave hunters things they could do to make the outdoors more enjoyable.. I haven't picked up a Pa Game News recently but maybe they still give hints of things you can make or do to have a better time in the outdoors..

Some of the things I remember follow? Do you remember any that were in Pa Game News too?

Take a 20 gauge empty shell (hull) and a 12 gauge empty shell (Hull) ... Insert the 20 gauge shell into the 12 gauge shell and you now have an excellent match holder to carry in your pocket for survival.. Make sure you get those blue tip matches that can be struck on a rock to light too...Hulls of course should be the plastic type to make the container water proof inside...

If you have a Zipper that is stuck. take a carpenter lead pencil and run it up and down the zipper... The graphite enables the zipper now to run freely up and down and won't snag.

Place a few pieces of charcoal inside the vent of your harvested small game animals... Charcoal is carbon and carbon kills bacteria. Hence a few pieces of charcoal will kill the bacteria and could be the meat won't get tainted in your game bag.

Take a branch and inserted in the vent of a ringneck or grouse and twist it.. Then pull it out of the vent. This is a fast way of gutting and animal.. The now tangled guts are twisted on the small piece of branch and can be easily pulled out and disposed of right in the field..

Remember they showed how to skin a squirrel by making a cut under the squirrels tail right behind the vent cut around the legs.. by stooping low to the ground and holding the squirrel by the back legs and stepping on the tail you can pull the squirrel hide right off of the squirrel body.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 05:47 PM

uncle buck, i remember those well. have been reading the Game News for quite a while. started getting it when i was about 13 and still get today. i turned 66 in December.
uncle buck likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 08:36 AM

I found that some of older Game News are collector items and surprised at some of the asking prices at local gun shows.Reading them does bring back fond memories of my early years on Pa hunting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 08:56 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I remember going to the library in jr. and sr. high school, and the first thing I would go for would be the Game News. If someone else was looking at it, Fur-Fish-Game was my second choice. I think the cover price of the Game News was .40 back then.

I specifically remember the match stick thing, and made several. One will still pop up from time to time when I'm rooting through things. But if I had to find one right this minute it would probably take me all day to find it !
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
The Man

"Danny Does This and Danny Does That!" Was written to motivate kids. I remember "Danny's First Predator Hunt!" He would go on all kinds of hunts with his grandfather!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Don Lewis articles on guns was awesome: because if his grouse gun article that made sense I purchased a Savage, Fox B side by side choked IC and M. Barrels were like 24 inches. I still have that gun. Turned out to be a real Meat gun!
drags and simoncool like this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 10:53 AM

buck, when you mentioned Mark Trail that brought memories. used to read his articles all the time.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 11:25 AM

I use to like the series that had a warden do a monthly log in each issue ,also an article each month by a warden about a case they worked on . Can't forget the field notes. I n what years was the Mark Trail articles in ,I don't remember them. must have been before y time ,lol.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Mark Trail was in the newspapers in the 60's thru 70's.
The Sunday comics for sure and filler in daily newspapers like Wilkes Barre's Times Leader.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 09:38 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle buck View Post
Don Lewis articles on guns was awesome: because if his grouse gun article that made sense I purchased a Savage, Fox B side by side choked IC and M. Barrels were like 24 inches. I still have that gun. Turned out to be a real Meat gun!
Don Lewis was always the first thing I read in my Game News. As a matter of fact, it was soon after he stopped doing his column that I left my subscription lapse. So it's been a while. Still a great magazine, I just let it fall through the cracks. Come to think of it , maybe I'll subscribe...
uncle buck likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page