Cold feet - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Cold feet

It seems I just can't find anything to keep my feet warm on stand. I have tried different socks, heated insoles, different boots and so on. One would think after almost 50 years of hunting I might figure it out! What does anybody else wear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 01:05 PM

muck boots and thermal socks. sometimes i add one of those sticky hand warmers. i place one under my foot and on top of my foot. WARM
jkhunter and blackpowder like this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 08:01 PM
Regular Visitor

Someone started a post on this subject recently... From what I read, many people recommended some type of Arctic boot covers and used a hand warmer inside of the boot cover. I think I will try this- they don't look very expensive either. Supposedly Better than even the electric socks etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 08:05 PM

I think one of the bigger things for me is good socks...merino wool, moisture wicking. Sometimes I'll use some gold bond powder on my feet before putting on socks. My feet sweat a lot so keeping dry is half the battle for me. Those disposable toe warmers seem to do the trick on really cold days
Huntered and blackpowder like this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 08:18 PM

This is what my kids and I do:

My son and I have the predator extreme pac boots from Cabelas. When it gets real cold like 20 degrees and below we put a hand or toe warmer in the bootie and we do not get cold feet When its warmer like 20 degrees and above no hand warmers just the boots and a fresh dry cotton sock.

My daughter will wear the boot blankets with just a heavy sock and hand warmers in them. Its like an oven in there when she puts 5 pairs of them in them.

When my son and I go into our spots we just wear the boot shell and tie the insulated booties to our packs then change the wet socks for a dry one. My daughter will wear just leather boots to walk in the take them off and go the boot blanket route.

Want to experiment try this, get a pan of the warmest water you can stand and put your bare feet in it sitting in your house, then you will get to feeling warm and may even start to sweat. When your feet are warm you are warm and the longer you sit and don't move the better your chances are.

A squakin' turkey don't live long
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 10:07 PM

I bought muck artic boots. The short version. 3 sizes 2 big. I can easily slip hand warmers in the top down to the top of my toes. So i rotate 4 warmers. Play with 2 in muff then swap with boots. Repeat. I also do the scent free antiperspirant on my feet. And a wicking wool sock.

Didn't vote for the husband. Not voting for the wife. #Liars
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 08:44 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

The best thing I did recently is I started to wear regular cotton socks to the stand. Once I got to the stand I would remove those socks, put them in my pack and replace them with heavy 90% wool socks and my feet typically stay warm. That said, it is a pain in the butt once at the stand, but I would rather have warm feet. As far as boots, I have tried many over the years, anything from rubber boots to 2,400 gram boots and nothing did the trick, until I started switching out my socks. Now this year, I broke my foot and had to find something to put over my broken foot boot and I bought a pair of icebreaker boot blankets. Let me tell you, those things are amazing and others have said above. You throw a hand warmer in there and it is like an oven .
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 08:55 AM

My neighboring camp claims that Sealskinz socks are the best thing they ever tried. They have some Sr hunters in camp. I thought they were a little pricey and have not tried them yet.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 09:07 AM

one mistake a lot of people make is buying boots that fit tight. your feet need a little room to move and breathe. your body generates heat, that heat needs someplace to stay and keep your feet warm. if your boots are to tight, the heat actually creates more moisture than it normally would. that moisture translates into heat loss which makes you colder.

thats why they also recommend dressing in layers and going slow to your stand so you do not over heat and sweat. if you do sweat, you get colder, faster.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 12:03 PM

For walking or stalking I wear a series of lighter boots. However, for cold weather all day or night setting I am currently using the following:

Socks Cabelas 16" wool/thermolite/nylon they are heavy and they wick moisture. Colder days I slip on a pair of the ankle tennis shoe cotton socks first. Really cold I place a hand or boot warmer in between the two sock. Another tip from my youth I use small plastic bags over my socks which allow my feet to slip on without all that rolling around on the floor and pulling to get them on as I have witness others doing.

Boots:

Rocky 1200G high top rubber boots
Lacrosse Arctic Pack Extreme
Rocky 1200G leather boots
Danner 1200G leather boots
Micky Mouse Boots Inflatable....but haven't wore them in years...too big to fit in my climber safely and the others have kept me warm.

I also dry my used boots nightly with a Field & Steam Maxx dry SD. It helps to start with a dry boot and clean shocks each trip.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page