I need a GPS and a mapping program - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I need a GPS and a mapping program

I'm partial to Garmin products and I was thinking OnX mapping. But that's ALL negotiable..........

Tell me what you're using, if you would, please.

What do you like about it ?? What don't you like about it ??

Thanks in advance !!!!

demokraten saugen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 08:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Iíve been using a Garmin 60csx for years. The 60 series is no longer made, having been replaced by the 64 series. What I donít like is that itís no longer made.

I use it for hunting, geocaching and before getting a dedicated vehicle GPS, for driving. I have Topo 2008 loaded into it. I have no idea how much detail more current maps show.

Steve
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 10:38 PM

I've been using OnX for a few months now. I really like it, but my only complaint is that sometime the app gets "buggy" and does not show the property owner info. It usually shows up again if you restart it, but that's my only complaint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 11:02 PM
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strut10 View Post
I'm partial to Garmin products and I was thinking OnX mapping. But that's ALL negotiable..........

Tell me what you're using, if you would, please.

What do you like about it ?? What don't you like about it ??

Thanks in advance !!!!
Hey man, so I was literally in your boat last week.
I am fortunate enough to get my hands on products to test before I get them myself.
Funny enough, I just got done testing OnX and a Garmin Foretrex 401.

Test result, I ended up buying a subscription to OnX and sent a thank you for letting me test the Garmin Foretrex.

Why? I used the Foretrex for a week straight.That might not be too long of a time frame to make a real impression on me but, it did.
First of all, I do not like the 12hr run time on 2 AAA batteries.
The accuracy was sub-par, especially in the "breadcrumb/track" mode.
I also did not like how long it took to acquire satellite signals. That time got longer and longer the deeper I was into the thick brush.
But, I did like the numerous features that it had, the customization ability, the small form factor, and the price. It is a proven platform but, not what I wanted.

OnX, on the other hand, is pretty much exactly what I expected.
I like the feature that shows you the property lines and it actually shows you the name of the property owner.
It's like Google Maps but focused on hunting.
Also, for under $30 a year. I feel it is well worth it.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 05:26 AM

I have a Garmin 64st (comes with preloaded topo maps). Good unit, finds satellites super fast, a little bulky, eats through 2 AA batteries fast, about every 8 hours or so. It has an electronic compass that helps especially navigating blind in the dark.

I also have a Garmin etrex 20. Also a good unit, slower to pick up satellites, fits in a pocket much nicer, probably 3x the battery life of my 64. I prefer the joystick but mine is starting to get a little wonky. No electronic compass, so navigating in the dark can be a bit tricky at times. Doesn't come with any maps, you have to preload them. GPSfiledepot has all kind of free topo maps by state, they are pretty good maps too.

To get full capability out of your Garmins you pair them with their software called Basecamp. That centralizes all your data...maps, paths, waypoints. I can sync this up with Google Earth also, for full capability cyber scouting. That stuff takes a mild level of computer know-how....certainly not rocket science. The maps usually lack property boundaries and hiking trails, but I work around that with prior research and occasionally pulling maps up on my phone.

Also have onX maps on my phone. Used it out West for some property boundaries. Didn't care for it too much. Have to pre-plan which maps you want to download. And you have to depend on having phone battery, as well as one more app draining it. Maybe someday but for now I still much prefer the dedicated GPS.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 11:42 AM

I have a Garmin eTrex Summit HC handheld that Iíve had for 9 years. Itís simple reliable and works when Iím in the middle of nowhere. However it is slow and it does eat through 2 AA batteries.

I also use OnXHunt. I love the app, love the detail and love the features. I love being able to measure distance far more accurately than Garmin or Google. I love the ability to check boundaries and property lines and who owns what.

For day to day Iíll take the pleasure of OnXHunt. For a backwoods weekend where Iíll be living in my GPS and have limited ability to charge my phone I will stick with my Garmin handheld.

Only the owners of a GSP would truly understand, "If I fits, I sits".
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 06:47 PM
Regular Visitor

I also use a 64st with an OnX chip. I started with just the App on an iPhone. It too was a little buggy but that seems to be resolved after I upgraded to a newer phone - a larger one and the battery last much longer. With the chip, you get the GPS and property boundaries on one device. If you buy the annual subscription, it will update your chip. Regarding the 64st itself, I second everything Elk Yinzer stated. I upgraded from a Garmin GPS 12 b/c I wanted buttons and it was about the same size. It took a little getting used to but I like it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
The Man

GPS update

Thanks to all who gave their input !!

I ended up with the Garmin 64st and a trio of OnX HuntMap chips. Got the WY and NE chips for my hunt. Then thought maybe I oughta get a PA chip to get familiar with before I had boots on the ground in an unfamiliar place.

The Garmin is pretty easy to get the hang of. The OnX chip I've been practicing with is next to dead nutz on.

Overall I'm quite happy with the combo and WOULD recommend it to others.

demokraten saugen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page