waterproof jacket - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

waterproof jacket

So i want to get myself a nice, at a minimum, jacket that is waterproof and possibly pants too that i can use almost all season (Oct-Dec). I heard Sitka is really good but pricey. Does anyone have a suggestion on what to look at? I want something that will be non bulky, dry, warm and reasonably priced if possible. If Sitka is just the best, then I will have something to aim for price wise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 04:03 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Sitka stuff isn't all waterproof. A lot is treated with a DWR but has no waterproof membrane, so bear that in mind.

That said, I own a bunch of Sitka stuff. As I see things on closeouts or whatever and have a use for it, I'll snatch it up. It's good, but I refuse to pay shelf price for it. I have a Fanatic jacket and Fanatic bibs. They're my go-to for late season cold weather. They're not water proof, but I've been in rain in them and been ok. I mostly don't wear that stuff till it's sub-freezing anyway.

The issue you'll find is two-fold----

1- water/wind proof often = LOUD

2- water/wind proof often = $$$

Best bet is to get to stores and see what you can find and handle and see what works for you. I doubt you'll find one set of stuff that'll work Oct-Dec. At least, I haven't found such a thing yet.

Badlands clothing is good and not as pricey as Sitka.

Kuiu and First Lite make good stuff, but it ain't cheap.
WhiteWalker83 likes this.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 02:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have the Sitka Down pour Jacket and pants. Hunted many days in the rain with them, both keep me dry.

Don't Gobble at me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 06:58 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

I have the pants...haven't found the jacket at a price I'm willing to pay yet, lol. The pants are very nice, though.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 07:17 PM

Look for Gor Tex products. My Cabelas Jacket and Bibbs kept me dry last week and have for a few years now. Still have a pair in Treebark camo.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 07:52 PM

I've always been a fan of Goretex waterproofing, but again it's pricey. To be honest with you I use frogg toggs stuff. I wouldn't say that it's durable if you're going to be stomping through the brush, but if you're looking for something just to wear while sitting on stand it's pretty cheap, light weight, and quiet. I've worn my chest high fishing waders before(not real quiet) and a frogg togg jacket. They run large as it is, but get a size or two bigger and you wear it right over whatever insulating layers you want, take it off if the rain stops.

For hunting in the rain, I'm a big fan of getting a gortex hat with a wide brim. I use a gortex boonie hat. I actually have 2, 1 camo 1 orange. They've been one of my better investments. IMO hoods are no good and interfere with your hearing, a baseball cap is useless because your neck will be soaking wet and all the water runs down inside your jacket.

Last edited by Marcus99; 11-05-2017 at 07:54 PM.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 08:05 PM

A hooded rain jacket will keep ones neck dry.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 05:11 AM
Part of the Community

Look at the sitka stratus line with the Gore wind stopper in it. IMO its a lot nicer to wear than the downpour stuff they have. I think the price point may be a little better too. The gore wind stopper technology is goretex, it just is not welded at the seams. In theory, you could get wet but you would have to probably be in a monsoon to notice. I have worn mine in a multitude of different weather and have not gotten wet. I love them for sitting right down on wet stand cushions, walking through dewy golden rod and sitting through the occasional rainstorm. Worth every penny!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 05:13 AM

Cabela's MT050
octagon likes this.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 05:18 AM
New Arrival

I second the MTO 50. Going on 7 years with mine, it only leaks where it is ripped from brush. Not that it rips easlly, but I hunt thick stuff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page