Why don't boots last more than a year - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Why don't boots last more than a year

So 3 years ago I purchased the Cabela's Brittany 10" boot. After 1 year they leaked like a sieve. 2 Years ago, I bought Danner Pronghorns with the same result. I returned them to Cabela's because they leaked and got a pair of Browning uplands. Now after simply walking through a frosted grass field, these leak. What the heck is it with boots not being able to last more than a year? I treated every boot with a waterproof treatment yet all have leaked. I'm not talking about standing in water with these things, but just walking through a field with dew or frost. I have a boot dryer and religiously dry them and dress the leather. The reason I choose each of the boot models was because all of them weighed less than 2.8 lbs / pair.

When I expect the hunt through wet areas, I use my rubber boots, but darn it why can't I walk through a frosty field without getting wet feet?

I am taking these boots back to Cabela's but now have no idea what to get in their stead.

Hello, My name is Eric and I'm addicted to dogs on point
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 01:38 PM

Re: Why don't boots last more than a year

I wear Red wings every single day, and I step in the nastiest things at work, they never leak, and I have had this pair for over a year, leather is still in awesome shape, but the tread is wearing thin. They were $200 boots lite, but I figured I have had one pair for over a year, when I was buying cheap ones every 4 5 months @ 50 60 dollars a pair I am ahead now.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 02:04 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Because they are all made over seas. I have two pairs of Red wings that are 8 and 13 years old (work boots. Thay are still waterproof and have good leather. (resoled 3 times).RedWing is now all made over seas, you can still find some old ones made in USA.

I also have a pair USA made Danner Canadians, 5 years old great leather and do not leak. You can still find them online.

I don't use a drier for my boots, I read somewhere that it breaks down the leather and gore-tex. I wear a boot for one day then let it air dry for one day, while I wear another pair.

Go buy a pair of Muck boots. For the most part they arearound $100. They will not leak. Great boot.

http://www.muckbootcompany.com/

Keep Americans working!
Buy made in USA!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 02:25 PM
Part of the Community

Muck boots are awesome bought my first pair this year for archery and love them
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 02:31 PM

my dad has much boots and i tried them one day and they come on and off so easily you dont need 4 guys to pull your boot off like some boots haha but i like rubber boots a bit better because the rubber gives mt foot better support...thats just me though

3D/3C/5C
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Frequent Contributor

I've got a pair of 600grm. thinsulate boots from Wolverine that I bought at Dicks about 10 years ago. They have the GoreTex in them. I waterproof the leather and nylon 1x a year (usually a month before hunting season) I have no problems with them leaking or anything.

I bought a pair of Rockys that were supposed to be waterproof, but the stitch down sole separated and I can't walk through wet grass without getting soggy socks.

I like Wolverines.

I also have Danner Acadia boots for work, 3 years old, 1 resole, no leaks, but they were $200+.

I'm not a big fan of glue on soles, I think they're cheaply made.

The more people that I meet, the more I love my dog
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 02:44 PM

i have a pair of Lacrosse Alpha Burly boots with foam insulation and i have had them for 5 years never had a leak or anything from hunting use. (i had one hole from dropping a board with a nail into it but i patches it and never had a problem with them since)

i will never buy a different boot they are awesome and im not a guy who hunts 3 days a year i hunt every season and so far this year i only missed 4 days of archrey just to give you an idea how much use they get. and i wear them while snowmobiling and stuff too

3D/3C/5C
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 02:56 PM
The Man

I always wear Rocky boots and have had pretty good luck with them. I spray them down with Camp Dry or some generic form of that before each season and they keep my feet warm and dry. I think I have about 8 pairs of them now, and I wear each and every pair throughout the season.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 03:04 PM

Cabelas should change there name to IMPORTED, just abouit everything they carry is imported.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Well, I am stopping at cabelas on the way home tomorrow and returning them. Just hope there is something there that is lightweight yet waterproof.

Hello, My name is Eric and I'm addicted to dogs on point

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page