Rifle Rest??? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Rifle Rest???

Been looking at rifle rests now for about a week, looked at bags as well and just can't seem to decide on which one to get.
I don't shoot no more than 100 yards and don't feel like dishing out $300-500 on something that it is better suited to a competition rest.
The rest is mainly going to be used for Sighting and just working on my shooting form. So does anyone have some good suggestions on one they may have used and got good results from. Thanks for your time.

rich battistoni
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:07 AM

Caldwell led sled! I'm no competition shooter but can do pretty well from a Caldwell. Not to expensive . I've shot five shot groups that you can cover with a nickel at hundred.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

I had a Led Sled and even though it was nice didn't like the idea of the gun being confined and pretty much like putting the rifle up against a wall and pulling the trigger, seemed to me not the best way to work on form,now for getting nice tight groups it was great but it took alot out of human error which drastically changes when hunting.

rich battistoni
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:54 AM

Base choice is do you want to absorb the recoil as in hunting or have the rest absorb the recoil. My old approach was that I wanted to handle the recoil as if hunting; however once I started shooting several rounds in a single outing I picked up a lead sled on sale. You can get them online now for around $80.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

To me being a part of the gun instead of having it locked in per say like a Led Sled and having it absorb almost all the recoil changes the characteristics of it when in a real hunting situation. I guess regardless of the rest it will have some affect in the field. I just feel being able to hold the gun while Sighting in would be better than having it sit in a vice like that type of rest. Maybe I'm just over analyzing it all.
Here's something else I noticed when I had a Led Sled, while shooting using it I could shoot groups that could be covered with a Nicole at 100 yards, then shooting off bags my groups became much wider and spread out. This is why I feel the way I do about a Sled.

rich battistoni
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:19 PM

I'll use a lead sled to establish zero on a new scope, but for general plinking and trigger time off a rest, I picked up a Caldwell Rock Jr. and have been pleased with it. They can be had under $40 most days, less so if you shop around for sale prices.

I stole this photo from the interwebs to show the typical setup with it, although I'll forego the rear bag most days.

I will say though, I do notice better gains in my field marksmanship by practicing standing, sitting, and kneeling, both offhand and from a bipod (if I use one with that gun). I try to throw a few rounds from these positions every time I'm out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 682659_1495221245512.jpg (146.7 KB, 13 views)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 05:44 PM
The Man

Nothing wrong with a couple shot bags filled with sand.Did just fine for me in my younger years.
willyp and Laylow like this.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 04:13 AM

Richbat,you most likely have heard this but you trigger has so much to do with how good you may shoot good groups.
So if your guns shoots tight groups locked down in a weighted vice it isn't the gun widening up your groups !!!!!
A front adjustable [ for up and down] rest is good and a rear bunny or rabbit ear bag is good to have also.
Has the trigger of your rifle been worked on?
PERSEVERE it will come to you .

WILLY P
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 07:58 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410-er View Post
Nothing wrong with a couple shot bags filled with sand.Did just fine for me in my younger years.

You do not want your gun confined in a sled. On the cheap... buy a full size bull bag and fill a couple shot bags for the rear as mentioned. Aquarium gravel is a nice alterative to play sand. While not as heavy . it forms well and doesn't seep thru the bag as raw sand does.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyp View Post
Richbat,you most likely have heard this but you trigger has so much to do with how good you may shoot good groups.
So if your guns shoots tight groups locked down in a weighted vice it isn't the gun widening up your groups !!!!!
A front adjustable [ for up and down] rest is good and a rear bunny or rabbit ear bag is good to have also.
Has the trigger of your rifle been worked on?
PERSEVERE it will come to you .
Nope trigger hasn't been touched.
Been thinking about the Bull Bag, Dog Gone Good Bags and either the Rock Jr or the Rock Deluxe with a Protektor Bag. Now if I do go for one of the Rock Rests which Protektor model bag should I get?

rich battistoni

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page