The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Machete

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Gunjack 
#1 ·
Been thinking of getting a machete to clear out some thick stuff while I'm scouting. Anyone have any suggestions to what is junk and what might last a while?

#2 ·
I had a cheap one from harbor freight for a while. Lost it in the woods somewhere. It was nice for the $5 or whatever I paid for it, but would dull very quickly and wouldn't hold an edge for long. My buddy had a Gerber that was far superior. I had never used one before but I was quite impressed with the effectiveness of it.

#3 ·
I have one that my son brought home from Indonesia about 20 years ago that was hand made. It does have a real long blade about 3 1/2 feet plus a handle that's made for both hands. They used them on the rubber plantations. Sharp as all get out. I have a cheap one that I bought at Wally World is ok for real light cutting.

#6 ·
I have one from Ontario knife company with a black "D" handle and coated blade. 22". Very happy with it. Once you learn to use it correctly, you won't know how you ever cleared shooting lanes etc before. I can easily cut through 2" + limbs with one swing.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.