New rubber boots question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

New rubber boots question

My uninsulated rubber hunting boots of 10 years have seen their last day. I also need to replace my pac boots (Sorel) that are 20 years old.

My question is regarding insulated rubber boots. I am thinking of getting a pair with 1000g of Thinsulate. Anybody have any comments on how the rubber boots with insulation perform on really cold days (for sitting all day late bow and gun season)?

Or should I just consider another pair of uninsulated for early part of archery AND another pair of pac boots for cold weather?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 01:46 PM
The Man

Re: New rubber boots question

They are awesome. The only pair of boots I wear for hunting spring, fall and winter. Alphas 800gm. Im sure the 1000 or 1200 will be really warm.

I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 01:49 PM
Frequent Contributor

I wear Alphaburly Sports with 1000g throughout all of the seasons. Not too warm in early archery and with a pair of thermal socks, comfortable on the coldest days of rifle season.

Benefactor Life Member of NRA, Trout Unlimited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 01:54 PM
The Man

I would not wear anything with more than 200 gm of thinsulate in the warm weather, prefer non-insulated then.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 02:25 PM

I agree w/ spring...I don't even own a pair that's a 1000, and to use in archery sounds way too warm to me. Additionally, from my experience, the more thinsulate, they can get significantly heavier boots. I wouldn't want to be chasing turkeys, deer for miles a day in warmer weather in heavy boots. But then again, I have a friend who I've hunted w/ for 20+ years and his feet are ALWAYS cold regardless of fall/winter.

I have 200gm light hikers for use spring, summer, fall. Then 600gm Mendels' for winter use (carry bootblankets when it's below zero like late Flintlock when I'm sitting all day). But to each his own...

I live to hunt....and hunt to live!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Thanks for your replies.

I sit ALL day (everyday next week if I have to), so the only time my feet have a chance to get a little sweaty is on the walk in. My fear is how these boots perform in that type of situation. Little damp from walk then inactivity in stand all day.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 09:24 PM
Frequent Contributor

it really depends on you and if you cold or not. I were uninsulated Lacrosse burlys every time I hunt. From dove through small game and deer into turkey. My feet sweat when it is warm and feel fine in the coldest snowy days. All the guys I hunt deer with think I am nuts. I think it has to do with the fact there is a lot of air in the boot and they trap that air and warm it. If I wore 200G my feet would roast.

"The only senseless killing, would be the killing of me"
-Matthew Zerby
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 05:38 PM
Frequent Contributor

Two type of boots you need. LaCrosse Burleys (regular model) with air bob soles for 75% of your hunting. When the weather gets dang cold, nothing beats the pak boots.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page