Cabelas definition of weatherproof packs not true - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Cabelas definition of weatherproof packs not true

The point of this thread is to see if anyone has had a similar experience with a Cabela's product. I bought one of their brand of packs, the All Day Transporter Fanny Pack and they claim it to be "Weatherproof". Now to most folks there is:
*Water Resistant - Repels water for a while but will eventually soak thru.
*Waterproof - Water will not penetrate. (Gore-tex, Dry-plus, etc)
*Windproof - Wind or air will not penetrate. (Wind-shear, gore-tex, etc)
So it's only logical to assume "Weatherproof" would be a combination of wind and water "proof". Especially since this pack has their "CT450 plus" material which they claim has 3 layers, 2 of which are waterproof.

Not so! In my first 3 uses of this pack, two of those days were the 17th when we had all that snow / wet rain, and then just this past saturday the 24th when we had a constant rain all morning long. Two great field testing days if there ever was one. This product failed miserably both days and only in a matter of a couple hours. Now this is replacing my very similar "FieldLine" pack (for shoulder strap reasons) which was waterproof.

I've written to Cabela's about it after the first day but got no response so far. Has anyone else bought this pack and had a similar situation?

Every action has a re-action! 4D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 02:44 PM

Re: Cabelas definition of weatherproof packs not true

I have one of their winter hunting bibs and it has been waterproof for over 10 years.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 04:22 PM

you might of just got a bad one.. i own ther http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...0770&hasJS=true

in orange i got it when they were 80$ a few years ago cause i wanted an orange one and its nice but after a few in rain every thing is soaked in side but your is made with different layers of waterproofing i would call ther WV store ask for one of the managers and explane to him in a good manor how you got it and your having problems with it and would like to exchange it
90% of the time when its like this they will say sure no questions asked.. the reasion is your walking back in the store so your prob gona spend more $$$ while your down ther...
now if you go though ther customer service on ther web site or 10800 number you might get the run around or not depending on who you talk too sence you got it this past fall they can say they might only have a 90 day return so your sol all depends.. but when you deal with the store directly thats different..
old manager once told me he rather have a customer come to him to have his issue fixed then go though the company.. one he dosent care if it gets returned hes not losing money because he dosent own the store.. two he made the guy happy so in return the next time he needs some thing it mostly will bring him back too his store and three sence hes ther dealing with it if the customer is taken care of most times he will look around and spend while he is ther... so most times then not with small issues like this the store makes out better then it started
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Yeah I'm hoping it's just a defective one. I'm disappointed that I got no response from my email a week and a half ago. I called them at lunch today and she said they'd probably replace it but she needed my receipt to be able to do anything, which I have but it's at home. so I'll call them again.
I bought it at the Hamburg store in July so she couldn't pull it up on the computer. But I'm not running back there, I'll do it on the phone and thru the mail. The store is an hour and 40 minutes away.
I've bought tons of stuff from them and never had an issue with any of it. Hopefully this is a fluke!

Every action has a re-action! 4D
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 07:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have been a long-time customer of cabelas and I have spent many thousands of dollars with them. I still like cabelas but have been bothered the past several years by all the junk they put their label on. I am not saying all of their gear is junk - some of it is very good - but the trend seems to be toward puting cabelas labels on all kinds of low-end, chinese made junk. It used to be that Cabelas sold mostly other brands with only a few sold under the cabelas labe - mostly clothing. Now they have chinese and korean rod, reels, knives, flashlights, tents, etc. that they put a cablelas label on.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 08:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'd be suspicious of a marketing term that has no defined standard. As in your original post, the word waterproof has a defined standard. Weatherproof is just a marketing word. This is from another Cablela's ad "CT450 Plus fabric is quiet and resists moisture".

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 08:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer Rage
I have been a long-time customer of cabelas and I have spent many thousands of dollars with them. I still like cabelas but have been bothered the past several years by all the junk they put their label on. I am not saying all of their gear is junk - some of it is very good - but the trend seems to be toward puting cabelas labels on all kinds of low-end, chinese made junk. It used to be that Cabelas sold mostly other brands with only a few sold under the cabelas labe - mostly clothing. Now they have chinese and korean rod, reels, knives, flashlights, tents, etc. that they put a cablelas label on.

Hey welcome to outsourced America!! We are still flippin burgers here last I heard.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 01:20 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I don't want to go off on too much of a tangent but most of us could benefit from being more aware of where products are made when we make purchases. Buying american keeps americans working and almost always results in a better quality product.

I went to home depot a while back to buy pruners for my apple trees. I checked every label and could not find a single american made pruner. There was Pakastan, Korea, China and Mexico.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 05:07 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

CALL them, Cabelas has fantastic customer service and will stand behind every product in their catalog.

Feral Cats are God's version of Ballistic Gelatin. - anonymous from another forum
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 05:16 PM

+1

Gun Control = Using both hands, and hitting your target

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page