Lansky Sharpeners - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to adudeuknow
Lansky Sharpeners

I have used them before although I do not own one. I feel they are amazing but their are many differant models on their site. I was hoping for some feedback. For instance, are the diamond stones that much better then the regular stones?

Kids!!! Get your camo on. We are going to Cabelas!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 08:41 AM
The Man

Re: Lansky Sharpeners

Like some would have you believe about fly fishing, sharpening a knife is not complicated stuff....the Lansky setup gives you the right angle-something practice with a bench stone will quickly teach you....

I use a coarse stone to start dull blades with then switch to a fine one to create a final edge....keep the stone moistened with a little water....

The best thing to do is to not let the knife get really dull....the angle you use is very slight....just imagine slicing a very thin piece from each swipe of the blade on the stone....I keep my everyday blades honed by occasionally swiping them on a fine stone from time to time...

I don't think diamond stones are needed but that's just me....
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 08:58 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I use the regular stones. I've never tried or used the diamond stones.

When I'm done you can shave the hair off your arms....or anything else you want to. I warn my wife when I sharpen her kitchen knifes so she doesn't slice a piece of herself off.

Dave

“Nothing external to you has any power over you.” -Emerson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Been using them for about 15-20 years now. About 10 years ago I bought a second set with two extra stones (X-coarse and X-fine) and sent my standard set (3 stones) to camp.

I've always used the regular stones with very good results. Had to replace the coarse stone in the original set from cutting new angles on too many blades for the first time.

I trap (lots of skinning) and butcher my own deer so the Lansky sees lots of use, daily use during trapping season.

Eh...wot?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 10:58 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by winchesterbob
Like some would have you believe about fly fishing, sharpening a knife is not complicated stuff....the Lansky setup gives you the right angle-something practice with a bench stone will quickly teach you....
Using a regular stone or steel is certainly a faster and more convenient way to sharpen and guys who know how to use them can put a very sharp edge on in a short time.

The Lansky and systems like it allow you to choose an angle for different types of blades and duplicate that angle stroke after stroke and sharpening after sharpening. That type of precision is what creates extremely sharp edges that I don't believe can be duplicated freehand. At least not by me...

Eh...wot?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to adudeuknow

i have seen guys at gun shows who do nothing but sharpen steel blades for a living that will tell you they can't duplicate a lansky.....i know their are some out there but i have no desire to acquire that amount of precision. i can sharpen a blade free hand that will shave hair but i can't do it very fast and i usually like to keep my knives really sharp at all times.

Kids!!! Get your camo on. We are going to Cabelas!!

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 08:02 PM

I use the Lansky kit that I bought about 15 years ago. The kitchen knives, I can sharpen. Some special purpose knives i get really sharp.

Then there are the hunting knives...A Schrade Sharpfinger and a WWII K-Bar that I inherited from my grandfather. Those 2 my GF calls "Scary Sharp".

My kit only has 3 regular stones.

Don't let the name fool Ya!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 04:13 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT
I use the regular stones. I've never tried or used the diamond stones.

When I'm done you can shave the hair off your arms....or anything else you want to. I warn my wife when I sharpen her kitchen knifes so she doesn't slice a piece of herself off.

Dave
Same here, the regular stones. Coarse, medium, and fine. I did the wife's kitchen knives once. She will not let me do them again! She said they were tooooooooo SHARP!!! I had my set for about ten years now. Ill buy another when needed!

John-LifeNRA http://www.NRA.org
YOU NEVER KNOW! Words from my Father!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 05:11 PM

I have used one for years, and yes I do have the diamond stones. Two reasons, they cut faster and last longer.

I also use ceramic rods for honing and burr removal.

A good edge for a hunting knife is a double angle of 11 degrees on the course stone and then finish with a medium and fine at 22 degrees. Too small an angle on the cutting edge will not stand up long and the edge will dull quickly.

An excellent read.

A few of my "old timers":

Treat people as if they're what they ought to be & you help them become what they can be.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 08:57 PM

I have a Lansky but don't have the patience to sit there for any period of time to sharpen the knife. I have a friend who loves to sharpen knives and uses a Lanskey. I usually give him mine to do. I always say there are 3 stages of sharp; sharp, scarey sharp and Eddie sharp! He once did my black handled buck knife. It was so sharp, I skinned three deer and butchered two with it before it needed touched up again. He just uses the regular stone blades. Once you do the initial sharpening that sets that bevel, a knife will resharpen pretty quickly with the Lanskey.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page