layering - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

layering

my cold weather long johns are worn out per the MRS.
what do you guys use,especially sitting on stand or in a duck blind for hours on end ? thanks

NRA life member
DU member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 02:02 PM
RIZ
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: layering

for just sitting i go with a thin polypropolene layer (cheaper form of under armour), then fleece over that is best for keeping warm. now you can wear your regular outerwear for the conditions. I do not believe in wearing 1 thicker layer to keep warm, they call it layering for a reason. that way you can adjust the types of layers to fit the situation.

RIZ
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 07:18 PM
Part of the Community

Layering goes: underarmor heat gear (cause its softer), Under armor cold gear, fleece (just the rocky stuff from walmart and as many layers to adjust for cold), hoodie then outerwear. Socks: cabelas high cold socks then a rock sock over top

As UA says: cotton is the enemy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 05:01 PM
Banned

polypro base layer, one or two polarfleece pants,waterproof pants over if I'm not wearing bibs, on top, polypro top, zippered 200 polar fleece jacket, jippered 300 polarfleece jacket w/ hood, then a windproof/waterproof layer or insulated windproof/waterproof jacket. The amount of layers vary by activity and temperature and when moving i often roll up my outer layer and one fleece layer and carry them in my pack to put on after stopping. I've often hiked for an hour to get to my deer stand on public land in my orange vest and polypro top the first day of deer season with my poly pro bottoms and my outer layer pants on the the bottom- getting dressed in my layers when I arrive at my stand. Cozy warm all day. two layers of socks (one larger than the other- wool/ good wool blend, and boots often uninsulated hikers (feet are not a problem for me like some), don't forget your hat. I have a thin orange skull cap that I believe is actually one layer of an old two ply hat from years ago to wear while moving and then when stopped a wool hat under a fleece hat. Hood on the second fleece layer can go inbetween those if necessary. Underarmor is way overpriced if you ask me. I'd pay more for patagonia Capillene base layers, but not underarmor- my personal opinion. enjoy, Keystonepaul
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys.
my stuff is over 10 years old & there are so many new products out there I wanted to know what really works.

NRA life member
DU member
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 12:10 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

There are alot of cheap options out there that are effective in cold weather.Poly like the others said is good..I have found that if you use a windbreaker type garment as the final outer layer it will keep you much warmer.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 04:22 PM
The Man

I wear under armor then a layer of duofold long johns, then military surplus thick polypro on top right under a coat...

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page